SOLVED Start and Search not working after upgrading to build 10162

Reaction score
I can't open the start menu or search in the box next to the start menu.
I upgraded from build 10130 to 10162.
Right clicking the start menu button works and everything else I've tried so far. Rebooted once.
Any way I can get it to work without having to download the iso and do a clean install?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
This is the inherent problem of upgrading from one OS to another.....some things work and others don't and some users that upgrade have this issue and others don't. For this reason it's why most of us professionals and enthusiasts always recommend a clean install.

Reaction score
Press the Windows key + I. This will take you into the settings. Then go to - Privacy - Speech, inking, & typing, and click "Stop getting to know me." -See if that helps.

Reaction score
Right clicking the start menu button works and everything else I've tried so far. Rebooted once.
Any way I can get it to work without having to download the iso and do a clean install?

Right click at Start works ?
If so, right click at it > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type the following to the flashing prompt. Be very careful . The command line has to be exact.....................................
Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

> press Enter.
Reboot after it's finished.
See if you can use the Start now.

Reaction score
Press the Windows key + I. This will take you into the settings. Then go to - Privacy - Speech, inking, & typing, and click "Stop getting to know me." -See if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion but this did not solve the issue. Really great that you showed me how to get to settings though since I can't access it from the start menu.

Reaction score
No prb. Try David's suggestion. It is publicised and works for some. But it is not a command prompt. It will most likely return the message that it is not recognised You will need to activate the PowerShell. Right click the taskbar -select properties. Select navigation tab. Then enable the change to the command prompt

Now, if you right click the start button, you will see the Windows Powershell option.

Reaction score
If so, right click at it > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type the following to the flashing prompt. Be very careful . The command line has to be exact.....................................
Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

> press Enter.
Reboot after it's finished.
See if you can use the Start now.

Correction.
It is my mistake for using Elevated Command Prompt instead of Powershell.
Thank you davehc for pointing it out.

In the Start search box, type powershell > at the top left, right click at Windows PowerShell > select Run As Admin

Powershell.jpg

Reaction score
Again, I have overlooked the fact that your Search does not work.
Getting tired. Time to quit posting in forums.

Try this......
Right click at an open spot of your taskbar > select Task Manager > select File at the top > select Run New Task > at the box, type powershell > check the box "Create this task with administrative privileges" > OK
You are on Administrator : Windows PowerShell.
Type the command as posted earlier.

Reaction score

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm unable to use it from the Command Prompt (Admin)

C:\>Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + "\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml")}
'Get-appxpackage' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

[EDIT] I didn't see newer posts about how to open Powershell with administrative privileges. The command does run in Admin Powershell.

I tried to find information on it online and found that it could work through the Windows Powershell, it did not.
Will try to figure out how to use Get-appxpackage. If I find a solution I'll let you know, otherwise I'll wait for the next build upgrade and hope that will take care of it.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Kristian

Last edited:
Reaction score
Again, I have overlooked the fact that your Search does not work.
Getting tired. Time to quit posting in forums.

Try this......
Right click at an open spot of your taskbar > select Task Manager > select File at the top > select Run New Task > at the box, type powershell > check the box "Create this task with administrative privileges" > OK
You are on Administrator : Windows PowerShell.
Type the command as posted earlier.

Thanks, this did make Get-appxpackage to run but after a reboot the start and search still won't open.

When I click start the dark background behind the white windows symbol gets a little darker for a second and the mouse pointer turns into the busy-wheel for half a second but nothing else happens. The search next to start turns to a lighter shade of gray when I click it but no indicator appears for typing and no text if I try to type.

I appreciate your help, thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When I click
How about the keyboard shortcuts for start and search?
Is there any response to the Windows Logo Key + S, or just the Windows Logo Key alone?
Seems like a dumb question but that's my job..... asking dumb questions.

Reaction score

Did you have this problem when you had 10130 ?
If yes, I would speculate that when you updated to 10162 via Windows Update, you had brought along the problem to 10162.
Under that assumption, a Clean Install might be the best way to fix the problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One last offer.
Settings (again!)
Personalization
Start (In the side menu)
Make sure all of the squares are Unticked

Reboot.

This is an inherited problem from an earlier build. You may also have carried it forward.

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm unable to use it from the Command Prompt (Admin)

C:\>Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + "\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml")}
'Get-appxpackage' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

[EDIT] I didn't see newer posts about how to open Powershell with administrative privileges. The command does run in Admin Powershell.

I tried to find information on it online and found that it could work through the Windows Powershell, it did not.
Will try to figure out how to use Get-appxpackage. If I find a solution I'll let you know, otherwise I'll wait for the next build upgrade and hope that will take care of it.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Kristian[/QUOTE

One minor point, you can access Settings from your notifications panel, -- bottom right hand corner.

Reaction score
How about the keyboard shortcuts for start and search?
Is there any response to the Windows Logo Key + S, or just the Windows Logo Key alone?
Seems like a dumb question but that's my job..... asking dumb questions.

Windows Logo Key + S makes the mouse pointer turn to the loading wheel for half a second but nothing more.
Windows Logo Key alone does nothing.

Reaction score
Did you have this problem when you had 10130 ?
If yes, I would speculate that when you updated to 10162 via Windows Update, you had brought along the problem to 10162.
Under that assumption, a Clean Install might be the best way to fix the problem.

No, my first install was 10130 and the start menu and search worked there. The problem occurred after upgrading to 10162.

Reaction score
One minor point, you can access Settings from your notifications panel, -- bottom right hand corner.

Nope, I hadn't discovered that yet. Left click behaves like the start menu button, button gets slightly paler for a second and the cursor shows the busy wheel for half a second. Right click on the icon gives two options: Open Action Center (nothing happens when clicked) and Turn on quiet hours (works and changes the icon)

Last edited:
Reaction score
One last offer.
Settings (again!)
Personalization
Start (In the side menu)
Make sure all of the squares are Unticked

Reboot.

This is an inherited problem from an earlier build. You may also have carried it forward.

Tried it and rebooted, no change unfortunately. It's not an inherited issue. It was working in my previous (and first) build 10130.

Reaction score
OK. Well, there is a new build out now so you can try that and keep your fingers crossed.

Ask a Question