SOLVED Start Menu Keeps Resetting Itself Back to Default

Reaction score
The start menu apps that I have selected are replaced by Windows default app every time I restart the computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried investigating time zone issues that have been reported for quite some time regarding impacting the Start Menu and associated Tiles as discussed here

Reaction score
Have you tried investigating time zone issues that have been reported for quite some time regarding impacting the Start Menu and associated Tiles as discussed here

Hi, thanks for your reply, I have had Windows ten installed for some time, version 1809 since the second release and it worked well untill now. I live in the UK the time zone and it is set to London, do you think it may be worth setting it to a different zone and then back to see what happens?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
do you think it may be worth setting it to a different zone and then back to see what happens?
I can't see how it would hurt to try as it might at least serve to advance the diagnostic process.
Evidently there's multiple issues that might be in play maybe have a look here as well to see if anything mentioned might prove helpful.

Pretty much anything from a corrupt user profile, to a group policy setting, time zone discrepancy, registry settings can cause this issue.

Reaction score
Hi, I tried switching the time zone to France and back but it had no effect on the problem, then from the articles you sent I tried deleting the cloudstore cache from one article and then tried running the command in powershell (admin) from the other. but sadly no change.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried just creating a new plain local account as a member of the local administrators group.
Just to see if you can make changes to Tiles in that new account and they stay the same following a reboot.
That would suggest possible profile corruption.

You can always delete it later or keep it and transfer all your stuff into it and delete the corrupt one.

Reaction score
Hi, there is a point I forgot to mention the computer is set for two users, my side has the problem and my wife's side is fine. Another thing I tried yesterday was reinstalling Windows (leaving all files and folders in place) but again nothing changed,does any of this change the suggestion to make a new local account?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the computer is set for two users, my side has the problem and my wife's side is fine
does any of this change the suggestion to make a new local account?
It more or less confirms that the issue is unique to your profile.
It might be worth the effort just to make sure that the problem hasn't impacted the default user profile.
That's the profile that is used to generate all new profiles.
ALSO
Assuming that everything checks out fine with the new account, you're probably going to need it to move into.

Reaction score
Hi, I made a new account and it works perfectly, but all my stuff is in the first account, at least we know the account data must be at faulty and causing the problem, By the way thanks for all the work you have done finding the answer. John.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
but all my stuff is in the first account
It's relatively easy to copy all your critical data from the old account into the new account.
Personally I like to use the normally hidden / disabled Administrator account to perform these tasks
See if the section label #2 here provides any help.

Ask a Question