SOLVED Still not received 1809 to 1903 update.

Reaction score
My laptop received the update months ago, but my PC has multiple internal SSDs and 2 USB Hard Drives, so my initial attempt (made last June) was stopped with a warning about possible Drive letter changes, saying my computer was not yet ready.
I continue to receive updates for version 1809 on my PC, but I have still not received the 1809 to 1903 update.

When will the 1809 version be fixed for the USB issue?
Alternatively, will the 1909 version update fix the USB issue?

Reaction score
I'm on Win 10 Home. I was having similar problem just 2 days ago. It was suggested I change the registry key at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control

It was set to 1 and I changed it to 0. Then I was able to successfully proceed with upgrading from 1809 to 1903 (Home edition).

As always, take the proper precautions and do your research before changing registry settings.

I started the upgrade from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

HTH! Cheers,

Reaction score
Thanks, but the real problem for me is whether the USB drive issue has been resolved. I do not want to force an update in case my multiple drive letters are messed up.

Reaction score
Thanks, but the real problem for me is whether the USB drive issue has been resolved. I do not want to force an update in case my multiple drive letters are messed up.

I forgot to mention that once you navigate to the registry key, the one you want to change is 'Portable Operating System' from '1' to '0'

As always, make a full image and/or clone of your system drive before making any changes to the registry. And make sure your system can boot from a recovery usb stik or optical disc.

Reaction score
Since nobody said anything about whether the USB drive issue had been solved, I decided to bite the bullet!
I disconnected all my USB drives and NAS drives, plus two drives in caddies. I uninstalled ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and with an Acronis Image on DVD to hand if needed, I used Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 ver 1903 on DVD and used that to update.

An hour later I had a successful update to 1903. After reconnecting all my drives and re-installing ZoneAlarm, my system was fully functioning again.

Ask a Question