Stop app from closing when clicking on quick launch icon

Reaction score
Hi All,

On Windows 7 when you click on the icon for an open application on the quicklauch (taskbar) it toggles that app being in front or not. On Windows 10 it is closing the application. See image.

In Windows 10 is there a way to change the behaviour so it does NOT close the application when you click on the icon on the taskbar?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Windows10 quick launch.jpg
    Windows10 quick launch.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,292

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I personally, am not experiencing any such problems but your may give the native System File Checker a try and see if that provides any relief.
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and type
sfc /scannow
hit enter
give it some time
see if it produces any information or insight.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I ran the scan and it found no errors. It is a bit strange. It toggles some apps to the front/back (like Edge) but for others it closes the app (Chrome, Firefox).

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
I have the same behaviour.
But are you sure it is closing the program?

In my case, whilst I am not happy with it, it merely minimises it to the taskbar. Clicking the icon again, returns it fully to the desktop.

Perhaps Trouble could kindly investigate and find a hint or clue, as to why he has not experienced this??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Perhaps Trouble could kindly investigate and find a hint or clue, as to why he has not experienced this??
It is very difficult to troubleshoot a problem that I am not having and can't seem to replicate.
I might suggest that as a temporary work around that the OP try using the Task View button to toggle or switch between open applications.
I personally have never found much use for that particular button but my wife uses it almost exclusively and calls it her "magic button" as she only has a single monitor and keeps a lot of things open.

Reaction score
It is frustrating... since I have never had the issue before... and I don't have it on a Surface Pro 3 that I have. Only the desktop exhibits this behaviour. Have been looking for a setting that allows me to disable closing apps when clicking on the taskbar.

Ask a Question