SOLVED WHy won't the refresh button on the Win 10 Photos app stop spinning ?

Reaction score
Windows 10 home edition version 1607 (OS Build 14393.351).

This is a relatively new laptop that I purchased at Best Buy.
It came with Win 10 already installed.

I use an MS account to log on and everything run fine except for this one thing.

The photos app "Refresh" button spins and spins and never stops.

It doesn't "seem" to have a negative effect on anything but I should really like to find a solution.

Here's how I can re-create the issue.

Start Photos.
Settings.
Remove all folders referenced under sources.
End Photos.
Create an empty folder on the "C" drive named "Test".
Start Photos.
Under collections, nothing shows of course, but the refresh button doesn't spin.
Settings.
Add C:\Test" under referenced sources.
Under collections, nothing shows (Cuz "Test" is empty.), but the refresh button doesn't spin.
End Photos.
Copy any .jpg or .mp4 into the "Test" folder.
Start Photos.
Now, under collections I "see" the .jpg and I can play the .mp4 but the "Refresh" button spins and spins. For hours if I let it.

It doesn't matter if I tell photos to use my MS OneDrive or not.

Any ideas as what I might do to correct this (unless this is considered expected behavior) is greatly appreciated.

JustRay in Wisconsin

Reaction score
Okay then, here's the deal.

After I made the Photos app aware of all my pictures and home movies (".jpg" & ".mp4"), the "Refresh" button spun for five(5) hours and then finally stopped.

I have no idea what in the wide wide world of sports it was doing (nor how to speed things up.).

I have a pretty beefy laptop so this "seems" a bit excessive to me but, what the heck.
It did stop "Refreshing".

And when I clicked on the "Refresh" button a second time, it "Refreshed" for about 40 minutes before stopping.

So, methinks nothing is broken.
And this "Refresh" time might be considered "normal".

So for now, it appears as everything is working properly.
Although I would like to know what the app is doing all this time and what I could do to speed things up.

Thanks to all who took the time to read my post and consider my issue.

JustRay

Reaction score
The photo app may re-index the folder(s) ? I am just guessing here as I do not use this app....

Reaction score
Holy Moly !
YOU, are a genius.

Based on your e-mail content, I .........

Started the search service (made it automatic).
Added the folder that holds all my pictures and movies, to the list of folders that will be indexed (now that the service is started.).

Now, if I click on the "Refresh" button, on the Photos app, the refresh procedure, completes in less than 15 seconds.

So, just to test things, If I stop indexing on that folder, and click on the "Refresh" button, it spins and spins.
If I re-enable indexing for my pictures folder and then click on the now spinning Refresh button, it completes in a very few seconds.

I never would have thought of that.
I can't thank you enough.

JustRay in Wisconsin :)

Reaction score
No thanks needed, maybe just a 'like'?
I love to help people whenever I can, that is part of my job even in the real world (I am a service technician for entertainment electronics). That always has carried over to the fictive world of the world wide web...

Ask a Question