How to download Microsoft Photos? It won't download from Microsoft Store

Reaction score
How do I get this to download? I've tried three times over a period of days to download Photos from the Microsoft Store and it is doing nothing. It sits at 40mb of Memory but no CPU usage.

I started out trying to download pictures from an old iPhone to my laptop. It should not be this difficult. From what I've read on the Apple site I needed the latest version of iTunes, not sure why, but I finally found it and downloaded it. Then I needed the Windows or Microsoft (?) Photos. I tried running it and it said it didn't find any pictures or videos on the phone.

One internet article said if I got that message I needed to use CCleaner and delete Photos and download another copy from the Microsoft Store. The delete worked fine. But now the download from the Microsoft Store has now been sitting for over three hours, as I said above, at 40mb of Memory but no CPU usage. Unless this app is gigs of data, it should not be taking this long. And it didn't even ask where to download it to. So I don't think anything is really happening.

Can someone out there give me some ideas?
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Is that app different from the Microsoft Photos that installs with Win10?

Reaction score
I think (hope) its the same thing because I didn't install it from anywhere. When I ran it and it wouldn't find any pictures, the documentation I found indicated it might be corrupted and said to delete it and download it from the Microsoft Store and re-install.

And I'm completely stuck at this point.

Reaction score
I did misspeak, it's not Microsoft Photos in the Start menu but just Photos. The Store does have Microsoft Photos but also one called My Photos. Since I have Photos installed and working on my computers don't know if I can get it again as it probably won't be allowed. Do you have your photos stored in Pictures? Maybe it's looking there but possible they are stored in a different Folder? I do it both ways.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I started out trying to download pictures from an old iPhone to my laptop
I believe that the "Phone Companion" app in Windows 10 now supports iPhones as well as Android and Windows Phones.
You might try giving that a try for getting photos from your phone to your computer.

As far as the photo app is concerned try using this link to completely remove the Photos App with Powershell.
https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reinstall-the-photos-app-in-windows-10/
Then reboot the computer and launch the Store App and see if you can then reinstall it.

Reaction score
I couldn't find any app to do with photos on my laptop but I found a link that seemed to open it on my computer. I'm not Techie so I'm not sure if it opened on my laptop or on the web but it tried to work. And then when I ran CCleaner, it did find Photos on my laptop and did delete it.

What started this whole thing is that my phone died and a friend gave me his old iPhone 4. He asked if I would see if I could download the pictures off of it to my laptop and them make him a copy of them. When I hook the iPhone to my laptop and the numerous times I ran Microsoft Photos, it always came back saying it couldn't find any photos on videos. When I started Photos to do the import (based on instructions I found on the Apple website), I chose the option to import pictures from a USB device, so I think it was looking at the iPhone. I started asking questions at the Apple website but they said I needed to contact Microsoft.
I believe that the "Phone Companion" app in Windows 10 now supports iPhones as well as Android and Windows Phones.
You might try giving that a try for getting photos from your phone to your computer.

As far as the photo app is concerned try using this link to completely remove the Photos App with Powershell.
https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reinstall-the-photos-app-in-windows-10/
Then reboot the computer and launch the Store App and see if you can then reinstall it.

I tried the Phone Companion and found the iPhone option. I was thrilled but not for long. There is a conspiracy against me getting this done. LOL.

I started Phone Companion and selected the iPhone option and then plugged in my phone and selected the Pictures option and the little box said In Progress. It didn't show any percent completed or progress bar, just that message. I waited three hours and all I could see that happened was that my phone battery got recharged. I'm not long on patience because I'm old enough to remember when computers were fast. So I clicked on the Music option and then there were two little boxes saying In Progress. Over the last six hours, in and around a multitude of other more worldly things, I've tried rebooting the laptop, unplugging the phone, ending the Phone Companion in the Task Manager and rebooting the laptop, restarting the Phone Companion, which is still showing both In Progress boxes, reconnecting the phone. Nothing changes. It continues to think it's In Progress. It's the Terminator app that can't be killed. When I clicked on the In Progress box, a message pops up saying, Something went wrong, please try again or restart the app.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
One of the reasons I hate iPhones, nothing is as easy as it should be.
My guess would be that you have to check the phone when it's connect and "trust" the connection and then configure the USB connection to support something other that "Charge Only"

In so far as the Phone Companion App, not shutting down....
It probably thinks that at some point the phone is going to give it a handshake and a go ahead for the transfer.

Otherwise just use task manager to shut it down.

Reaction score
I couldn't find any app to do with photos on my laptop but I found a link that seemed to open it on my computer. I'm not Techie so I'm not sure if it opened on my laptop or on the web but it tried to work. And then when I ran CCleaner, it did find Photos on my laptop and did delete it.

What started this whole thing is that my phone died and a friend gave me his old iPhone 4. He asked if I would see if I could download the pictures off of it to my laptop and them make him a copy of them. When I hook the iPhone to my laptop and the numerous times I ran Microsoft Photos, it always came back saying it couldn't find any photos on videos. When I started Photos to do the import (based on instructions I found on the Apple website), I chose the option to import pictures from a USB device, so I think it was looking at the iPhone. I started asking questions at the Apple website but they said I needed to contact Microsoft.

I tried the Phone Companion and found the iPhone option. I was thrilled but not for long. There is a conspiracy against me getting this done. LOL.

I started Phone Companion and selected the iPhone option and then plugged in my phone and selected the Pictures option and the little box said In Progress. It didn't show any percent completed or progress bar, just that message. I waited three hours and all I could see that happened was that my phone battery got recharged. I'm not long on patience because I'm old enough to remember when computers were fast. So I clicked on the Music option and then there were two little boxes saying In Progress. Over the last six hours, in and around a multitude of other more worldly things, I've tried rebooting the laptop, unplugging the phone, ending the Phone Companion in the Task Manager and rebooting the laptop, restarting the Phone Companion, which is still showing both In Progress boxes, reconnecting the phone. Nothing changes. It continues to think it's In Progress. It's the Terminator app that can't be killed. When I clicked on the In Progress box, a message pops up saying, Something went wrong, please try again or restart the app.

I lost my internet connection as I finished the last sentence. When In the mean time, I rebooted the laptop, yet again and turned off the phone and restarted it. Opened Phone Companion and selected iPhone, when the next screen opened (the phone was not connected to the laptop at this point) the screen had the little box that said In Progress. See, you can't kill it.

I'm open to suggestions.
One of the reasons I hate iPhones, nothing is as easy as it should be.
My guess would be that you have to check the phone when it's connect and "trust" the connection and then configure the USB connection to support something other that "Charge Only"

In so far as the Phone Companion App, not shutting down....
It probably thinks that at some point the phone is going to give it a handshake and a go ahead for the transfer.

Otherwise just use task manager to shut it down.

I never get a TRUST the connection message or I would have said Yes. I can't find that the iPhone is connected in File Explorer or Device Manager and since it never gives me the Trust message, I wonder if it is possible to even connect the thing.

I'm with you about hating iPhones. I wouldn't even have a cell phone but I live so far out in the boonies that house phones are not available. The nice thing is that this iPhone was free. Hard to beat that. I have to use my good Samsung cell phone as a Hot Spot Modem for internet access as the modem my ISP gave me doesn't find a signal. As I said, in the boonies.

Don't know how I managed it but I finally got the Microsoft Photos App to download from the MS Store but it is still giving me the message that it isn't finding any photos or videos to import. And around and around we go. I am persistent, if nothing else.

By the way, completely off topic. I like the Yoda comment. And especially the comment about Undying Gratitude to our men and women in the Armed Forces. They can never get enough gratitude.

Ask a Question