SOLVED Microsoft is having problems downloading Windows 10 Version 15.11/1511 10586 (an update)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Susan and welcome to the forum.
Can you please clarify.....
Some people use the term downloading as a general catch all term, when they actually mean installing / updating / upgrading.
Downloading is actually the process of getting the files from a source onto your computer in order to install / update / upgrade, so.....
Are you having trouble downloading it or installing it, and....
When or where (at what point or stage) are you getting the 0x80070564 error? Is it a BSOD error or an error message dialog box that is popping up.

Reaction score
Thank you for replying. Microsoft keeps trying to install the update (automatically but lets 'me' try again which I have also done a few times) but then says there is a problem after trying to installing the update and to seek further information. In the dialogue it gives me the 0x80070564 error for information. What is a BSOD error please?
I can try again and send a screen shot if that would make things easier.
Thank you, Susan J. Scotland.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope, not necessary, I understand.
A BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) is another thing all together. Not something you want to see either.
First things first, before proceeding....
Do you have a good backup of all your critical data?
Do you have a known good Disk Image of your hard drive?
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

IF so then, you may want to just download the 1511 November Update Build 10586, in the form of an ISO from here.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Save it to a folder on your desktop or elsewhere on your computer.
When the download is done simply double click the ISO (which will mount it as a virtual drive on your computer) and run setup.exe from there to perform the in-place upgrade from that local source.

You may have (in the root of your C:\ drive) a file named something like $WINDOWS.~BT (or similar) that is the file that MS has downloaded to your computer to facilitate the upgrade. The file may be corrupt and preventing you from upgrading through Windows Update utility.

Obtaining the ISO and using that ISO as a local source for the install should circumvent the need for that other downloaded file.

Reaction score
If it makes any sense..

ERROR_LOGON_NOT_GRANTED
1380 (0x564)

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

Reaction score
Thank you Noob Whisperer for your reply. I did a disc image before I downloaded Windows 10 and have another external hard drive I use for back up. Will try your suggestions, with the help of my husband as it's a bit technical for me. What is ISO? Susan J.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The term ISO is just an acronym for International Standards Organization.
In this case "the" ISO is the complete download of the installation media to install or upgrade Windows 10.
The ISO you'll be downloading
Win10_1511_English_x32.iso (for 32 bit system architecture) almost 3 gigs in size
OR
Win10_1511_English_x64.iso (for 64 bit system architecture) almost 4 gigs in size

It's not too critical that you know what it is, just if, it resolves your current problem (which I hope it does) and....
That you get the correct version for your system architecture.

Reaction score
Apologies for not replying sooner.
Thank you for all your help. It was too complicated for me to do/didn't have the confidence.
I decided to let the 'local' computer shop solve this problem, which they did.
Best wishes, Susan J.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just glad to hear that you managed to get it resolved.
Thanks very much for the follow-up.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question