Strange network issue

Reaction score
I'm having a network issue that I just can't manage to solve.

Symptom: Sometimes pages fail to load completely. Occasionally, several attempts at reloading will eventually get a page to load fully. This happens even on high traffic, high bandwith sites like Yahoo, Google, Youtube, and the like, so it is not a problem with the sites. In particular, the network issue seems to affect images and video most of all. Every Windows device (all of them Windows 10) in this house has the same problem. The android devices do not seem to, but then again they load much less bandwith intensive pages). Our LG SmartTV also has the problem and it means our family can't watch streaming video over it. Interestingly, turning on my VPN on my desktop (which is wifi connected) seems to eliminate the problem for my desktop. I'd run with the VPN on permanently, but my work sites and financial sites freak out when I try to use them with a VPN on.

What I've tried without managing to solve the issue:
Running the windows network troubleshooter
Flushing the DNS
Changing DNS servers (using Google DNS, OpenDNS instead of my ISP)
Trying different browsers
Resetting the Cable Modem
Resetting the Wifi Router (an Eero mesh)

The fact that all the windows computers are having this problem led me at first to believe it might be a router issue. However, turning on the desktop VPN resolves the issue for the desktop, which makes me think it is a DNS issue rather than a router problem because the VPN is still connecting using the router. Yet the DNS solutions I tried did nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi TXGuy,

have you looked for updated drivers for you network adaptors on your computer?.

If you tell us the make and model + specs of your computer, it might help to eliminate the problem?. :)

Reaction score
My desktop is a Cyberpower built computer using different manufacturer parts. I've downloaded all the drivers and network adapters I could find for the motherboard, wifi card, and others. The thing is, though, that this problem is consistent across all windows 10 machines in the home: two desktops and two laptops. An on all of them, using a VPN will solve the incomplete loading problem, though with big tradeoffs of lower speeds and sometimes running into sites that block known VPN ip addresses. The fact that every windows machine in our home, all from different manufacturers, all have the problem is what makes me think the issue is some aspect of the network connection.

Reaction score
My desktop is a Cyberpower built computer using different manufacturer parts.
All computers fit that description. I have a nice ByteSpeed with Win7 that came out of a hospital, recently gave away a Cyberpower-branded Notebook to some home-schooled kids.

As for the Network issue, that's where I'd concentrate my efforts since all the machines have the same problem. It may take replacing the Router, probably Wireless/Wi-Fi, but it could also be the modem function connecting to the Internet. I usually set up one Desktop with a Wired/Ethernet connection and get it working then start adding one at a time. Mine has 5 wired Desktops, 2 wired NAS drives and 2 wired Printers. Any computer that connects through Wireless/Wi-Fi can use the printers after software is installed and they can access the files on the NAS drives after Mapping them. Wife loves printing from her Notebook to get recipes mentioned on cooking shows on the TV.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Agree with Bighorn.
Take your Eero mesh system offline and start by connecting a single computer to your cable modem and see how it behaves.
IF
That produces satisfactory results then move out from there.

I'm not familiar with that Eero mesh device(s), but in some quick research I noticed that it does its' own software updates automatically.
That might be something to investigate.
I see that it has pretty good reviews overall but personally, my experience with automatic software updates don't always produce the desired results.
Especially when it comes to maintaining a stable network infrastructure.

Ask a Question