SOLVED The paging file is too small for this operation to complete.

Reaction score
The problem is obviously as it is , is that I don't have enough memory , this is the message from windows event log right before my whole PC crashes

now the problem is that I don't know what the problem is , let us start with that I have windows 10 and I have limited pagefile.sys to 10gb which is more than enough as I see it since I have 16GB ram and here is the actual problem , the message before paging file is too small was a warning telling me a low virtual memory but here where things dont add up :- only 4gb of memory was in use when my computer crashed:

"

Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: Decompress.exe (2084) consumed 2461761536 bytes, chrome.exe (6276) consumed 662761472 bytes, and eclipse.exe (8008) consumed 618754048 bytes.

"

so I did the mast for you thats a total of :

Decompress.exe 2.461761536 gb

chrome.exe 0.662761472 gb

eclipse.exe 0.618754048 gb

so first of all i have no idea what Decompress.exe is even , second of all i have 10gb pagefile sys and 16gb physical ram , what could the cause be for my computer crashing on 4gb ?

-Things worth noting the crashes are random , I do have 16gb installed ram when I check my PC , I do play demanding games that easily demand 12-16gb ram and I can get consistent several continuous hours in them without crashes , but chrome and other simple apps on togther seem to crash my PC :/.

-Thanks in advance , all help would be appreciated ..

Reaction score
I'd switch it back to "automatically manage paging file size". Just as a test.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
so first of all i have no idea what Decompress.exe is even
Worth a listen
A pretty comprehensive video on how Windows 10 manages memory and all things pagefile, swapfile, cache, compression, decompression, etc., etc.
AND
I agree there is no reason I can think of for not letting the system manage virtual memory.
I don't think any of those things we learned back in the NT4 days are applicable any longer.

Reaction score
a thing i forgot to mention , it is just that i remember that years ago i put the pagefile.sys to be 10gb of size, but now it is automatically managed by system .. but i still have this problem ..

Reaction score
Have never fiddled with Windows memory allocation since W95. Never even seen decompress.exe. It certainly is not in my list of processes. and does not exist in Program files or Program file (x86).

Nothing abnormal with Chrome using 600Mb. It is using 456Mb on my PC with just two tabs open.

What is eclipse?

Reaction score
Have never fiddled with Windows memory allocation since W95. Never even seen decompress.exe. It certainly is not in my list of processes. and does not exist in Program files or Program file (x86).

Nothing abnormal with Chrome using 600Mb. It is using 456Mb on my PC with just two tabs open.

What is eclipse?
eclipse is safe , it is java IDE for programming that i did have opened, but i guess that decompress.exe is what is causing these problems , the problem is I cant find it ! , since i only seen it though windows event log and i did a full computer search and couldn't find it and under normal healthy run for my pc , i dont see in in task manager ...

Reaction score
Is it part of one of the games you play? Is it a disk decompression routine? Or something that decompresses video on the fly for the games. I am not a gamer.

Reaction score
So as most of you guessed , decompress.exe is one of the main aspects behind this program .. i found another windows event log which shows leaked memory before the crash and decompress.exe is always in it using around 2.4gb of RAM as well as I see always an additional 2.4gb of ram unaccounted for in taskmanager but the problem is Decompress.exe is no where to be found ... I have ran 3 different antivirus checks including malwarebytes, bitdefender and windows defender .. all of which found nothing , as well as i tried searching automatically and manually for decompress.exe and found nothing as well as it doesnt even show up in task manager(and yes taskmanger is elevated .. , any idea how the hell i could get rid of this infected hell decompress.exe ?

Ask a Question