Video Player not seeing .mpg files in folders!

Reaction score
Hello, would be grateful for any help with this please.

I have several .mpg video files in folders on my PC, which are visible and playable. However, when I try and use Windows 10 Video Editor to edit them, the 'add file' function within the App does not even see the files in the video folders, suggesting the folders are empty. However, these folders are definitely not empty and contain several .mpg working video files.

I have a new Lenovo Legion PC which seems to work perfectly so far in all other ways.

Thanks John

Reaction score
Hi John,

see the following for free alternatives Be careful what you click on as there is most likely some Shareware on the page!!!!. :eek:

To play certain videos, Windows requires certain codecs which they don't install by default, download VLC (free app) and try that so you can at least view your vids!. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, very helpful. I have downloaded VLC and can play the videos fine.

However, I was hoping to use Windows Video Editor to edit these videos. Can I assume that Video Editor will simply not recognise/edit .mpg files? If so, I assume I'll have to try and convert the .mpg's to a format that Video Editor will recognise, or source a better video editor? Weird!

Thanks in anticipation. Regards John

Reaction score
To play certain videos, Windows requires certain codecs which they don't install by default
Hi John,

to quote myself (above), you may need a certain codecs pack for Windows Video Editor to work but I am not sure?.

Use the following link at your own risk!.

Do you have the latest version of the app?. :)

Ask a Question