Windows media player for Windows 10 will not show video for .MPG files

Reaction score
Windows Media Player for Windows 10 will only play the audio portion of .MPG files. The video portion of the .MPG file will not play.

Windows Media Player for Windows 7 played both the audio and video portion of the .MPG files.

Do I need to do something differently with Windows 10 to make the Windows Media Player play both the audio and video portions of an .MPG file?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum.

.mpg files work fine on Windows Media Player in Windows 10 with no need to adjust anything.

Thus the first question I have for you is what video card is on your computer?

The second question I have for you is are you using any third party codecs?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you, Regedit32, for your response. According to the system specifications, my video card is the Intel HD graphics 520.

After reading your message I suspect you are correct...that it is something to do with the video card. I am going to reach out to the manufacturer to ask what they think.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you don't mind attempting a small experiment to test if it is actually a hardware issue or just a missing codec....
Try installing
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
A small and very popular third party media player. You can always uninstall it later if you choose.
Then find the .mpg file, right click it and choose open with VLC media player, and see if that makes any difference.
IF it seems to play as expected then the problem is not likely with your system hardware.
Afterwards go back and right click it again and choose open with Windows Media Player.

Ask a Question