WD 500GB not visible in Win10 file explorer.

Reaction score
I have WD5000AZRX 500GB that when online it doesn’t show in WIN10 file explorer, but is visible under this PC/manage storage. help please?

It's been an extra HD, but now putting back in PC.

I'm running WD diag tools and it passes all test along with showing correct size. Just doesn't get a drive letter assigned.

Also wonder if this is a HD that I once installed linux, if so how do I get it back for windows use?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Linux formats drives that Windows cannot read, usually ext4. If it's seen in Disk Management you may be able to delete any partition/s on it then if wanting to use it as storage create a single new partition and format as NTFS. After that a drive letter can be assigned and File Explorer can access it.

Reaction score
Bighorn thanks

I used Disk Management to delete partitions and then created simple volume along with assigning drive letter. Last step was quick format. So far it's working and will test in PC over the next few days.

Reaction score
Also got an older 320GB HD and had same issue as 500GB HD which may also had linux installed. That said can anyone educate my on the "free space" after doing above suggestions which is also n the 500GB HD. Anyway to make the space active again? I also noticed that WD utilities don't ID both drives as WD's which they are. I have acronis backup and they do offer disk director, and another one I'm looking at minitool patrician. That that the small amount of free space is a concern, I'm just trying to learn more.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4425.jpg
    IMG_4425.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 147
Reaction score
The free space is just 1GB [1012MB] and may be a second partition, if so you may be able to delete then Extend the first partition to include it. If it's not a partition it should show as Unallocated.

I'd run something like SPECCY on the computer [there's others available] and try for the identity of the drives, WD had bought another drive manufacturer or two in years past and maybe put their label on them, based upon the size/age of the drives that may be likely. When I started building computers back in late '94 there were more brands available but a number of them have merged with others such as Connor and Maxtor. It was a really big deal when the shop owner got a purchase order for a 1GB HDD for the client that was building a Bulletin Board system.

Ask a Question