Upgrading current SSD to Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive

Reaction score
This is a off the shelf- Dell Desktop- which I got for a Very Lo$ price for my needs. Its a i-7 10700 CPU -> 8 core > 16 thread. I have upgraded it from 8 GB RAM to 32GB RAM. Running WIN 10 PRO
It currently has a PC SN520 NVMe WDC 256GB SSD Which R/W Up to 1,700/1,300MB/s
to
Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive
which R/W Up to 3430 MBps / 2600 MBps

The WD BLACK SN750 Im getting for a steal .
Id like to clone the current SSD to the New WD BLACK SN750 -making that my Primary Drive and put the current SSD aside for backup / safe keeping.
I have a couple of SSD SATA from older laptops no longer in use. Id like to take one of those and put it in as a backup to save my daily work on . Do not play games or anything strictly a Work System.

Is it possible ? Feasable? Im not a Geek but have cloned laptops b4 with SSD SATA but never a PCIe SSD.
On the SSD SATA as backups would I have to eliminate the OS on it and if so what else would I need to do to it ?

I am including some spec sheets from the system hopefully that will give you all the info to help me.

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• SSD STORGE OPTIONS.JPG
    SSD STORGE OPTIONS.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Internal Ports Connectiors.JPG
    Internal Ports Connectiors.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Chip Set.JPG
    Chip Set.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 163
  • MotherBoard Layout.JPG
    MotherBoard Layout.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Motherboard PIC.JPG
    Motherboard PIC.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it possible ? Feasable? Im not a Geek but have cloned laptops b4 with SSD SATA but never a PCIe SSD.
Possible = YES. Feasable = YES.
While not a big fan of "cloning" the task should not be any different just because an M.2 drive has entered the equation.
Just be sure of your Target and your Source drive(s).
ALSO
Read your motherboard manual as in some cases depending on the mfg and BIOS/UEFI, when an M.2 device is employed, some SATA slots are unavailable...
SO be sure to investigate that.

Typically when I do this type of work, I employ Acronis True Image and instead of "cloning" I simply....
Boot with the Rescue Media, create a full Disk Image of the SOURCE drive (on external media).
Shut down the system.
Remove the SOURCE drive and install the TARGET drive.
Boot again from the Rescue Media and recover the Full Disk Image that I just made to the new drive.

The best approach I've found is to keep it as simple as possible to avoid any confusion, so I generally make sure that other drives that are not involved in the task are either not attached or not powered or both, so there is no opportunity for anything to be written to anywhere except where I intend.
On the SSD SATA as backups would I have to eliminate the OS on it and if so what else would I need to do to it ?
IF your only intention is to use it as a backup device, then....
It would probably be best to clean it, removing any random partitions and repartition / format it so you are able to use the full capacity of the drive for your intended purpose.

Ask a Question