This app can't run on your pc error message

Reaction score
Every time I turn on my pc I get a blue box on my desktop with the message 'This app can't run on your pc' but it doesn't tell me which app it's talking about!

It's getting irritating; what can I do about it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Click the Start Button and simply start typing UAC
Pick / click it "Change User Account Control Settings" at the top of the list of results and you should see this

Capture.PNG

That image reflects the proper default setting (3rd notch from the bottom).
Sometimes if it is set too low the OS thinks that you are using the normally hidden "real" administrator account and some UWPs do not like to work with that setting.
So you end up with an error that looks something like this

Screenshot (1).png

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK..... then it is likely some third party process, service or application.
Have a look at the Startup Tab in Task Manager and see if anything looks out of the ordinary.
IF not then.....
You might want to try clean booting your system as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Reaction score
Thanks, I've saved the clean boot link. Does that affect my documents or anything?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope..... it's just a means by which you might be able to diagnose this issue and can be undone by simply reversing the process.
As explained in the section labeled "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

Reaction score
I think it's AMD Radeon settings because when the app message appears a download notification appears just after I close it. When I click that Radeon settings shows up. I click download and the app can't run on your pc message comes up again.

I play games so I think I need that don't I? I'm pretty sure I used to be able to get the downloads so something may have changed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I play games so I think I need that don't I?
You probably don't need that particular piece running at Startup.
The underlying software package / drivers should still operate and support any "games" you play.

You might check with AMD to see if they have a newer version of that particular piece (likely CCC "Catalyst Control Center" / "Crimson")
Using nVidia, I don't have any personal experience regarding AMD's offerings.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem.
Thanks for the follow-up info.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question