Thumbs.db question

Reaction score
I had several folders with family pictures, populated when I was using Windows 7 Pro. (I'm now using Windows 10 Pro.) These folders were backed-up to an archive on an external drive using Karen's Replicator, a simple copying software. I only now tried to look at those pictures. Unfortunately, each of the folders contained only a thumbs.db file. Nothing else. Even a general search of the archives (search *.jpg) fails to find those family pics. I can view the thumbnails, but I can't recover the image files. I'm absolutely positive I never intentionally deleted the files, but, apparently, they're gone. Is there any way they could be hidden? Yes, I know I'm clutching at straws.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If they're not showing up, then I don't think they're there anymore. Had you confirmed that they were originally copied?

Can you check to see what the size of the pictures folder is, as that may give you a clue as to if there is any real data in there.

You could try using recuva (it's free) to see if the files can be recovered (if they were copied then deleted at some point):
https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Reaction score
As Ian Says.
But, Perhaps, if you have not already tried, reinstalling "Karen's relplicator" will allow you to view the files. I have no knowledge of the program.
By the way. You may have had reasons to use that prog, But, for a simple copy and paste, it is not required.

Reaction score
Ian, thanks for the tip. I'll try it. Dave, Karen's allows me to define a series of "jobs," each of which requires copying a series of files and/or folders. So, the copying operation is much more convenient using Karen's as opposed to doing it manually. Again, many thanks for the responses.

Ask a Question