Time for new hard drives?

Reaction score
PC started off as Vista, now Win 10.
Boot up is on an ssd, but I also have 2 (internal) 3.5 hard drives - both for storage. Both 1TB , 64 cache, and 7200 rpms
One is a Western Digital black # wd1003fzex-00mk2a0 and almost 7yrs old. This one is for documents, photos, music.

the other is a Toshiba p300. Model# hdwd110. And about 4 yrs old. This one for library back ups and images (using Aoemi backerupper).

so based on the “if its not broken dont fix it” category - should leave them alone or buy a new set of hard drives?
and if so which brand/model the most reliable?

Reaction score
I am on a low budget. In your situation, as you have no apparent problems, I would carry on using the disk, but ensure you have regular images on , preferably, an external.
If you are looking for an increase in overall performance, then, certainly, consider exchanging any standard HD's for SSD's.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yeah, I totally agree. Leave well enough alone and upgrade as needed. I'd keep an eye on the Toshiba drive as those are known and prone to fail.

Reaction score
When you see "known brand" 1Tb SSDs on sale at one of the big places places like NewEgg or even on Amazon, replace the HDDs one at a time. This will improve speed and lower the load on the PC both heat in the box and on the PSU.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Well unless you have all the information on both of them hard drives backed up regularly. I would replace them. Hard Drives are very inexpensive nowadays. I prefer WD Blacks myself. However for DATA only drives the Blues are good too. I found in the past that it pays to trial-run new HD for a couple of weeks before committing all your data to them. Especially the WD Blacks it seems if they are going to fail it will happen rather quickly within a couple of weeks.
Actually nowadays you probably only need one 2 TB drive to replace both, this is less than $100
leaving you money to purchases a 4TB External USB 3.0 hard drive to back up everything on regular basics.
Or just buy the 4TB backup drive and then you can safely use the other 2 hard drives until they fail.

Reaction score
Well unless you have all the information on both of them hard drives backed up regularly. I would replace them. Hard Drives are very inexpensive nowadays. I prefer WD Blacks myself. However for DATA only drives the Blues are good too. I found in the past that it pays to trial-run new HD for a couple of weeks before committing all your data to them. Especially the WD Blacks it seems if they are going to fail it will happen rather quickly within a couple of weeks.
Actually nowadays you probably only need one 2 TB drive to replace both, this is less than $100
leaving you money to purchases a 4TB External USB 3.0 hard drive to back up everything on regular basics.
Or just buy the 4TB backup drive and then you can safely use the other 2 hard drives until they fail.
So then for backing up us HHD rather then SSD? And if so the size of the drive itself - whether a 1 TB or a 4 TB are equal in terms of reliability? I had 2 Seagate Barracudas fail 7 yrs ago, so not a fan and reason why I got a Western Digital and a Toshiba - in terms of not sticking to just one brand.

Reaction score
Well, that is true however 4 Tb SSD are available and not likely to fail. I have a 1 TB Samsung 950 Pro that I have been using since 2012 for data storage they warranty is for 10 years. There a now 4TB Samsung Evo's Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD 1TB - 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive with MLC V-NAND Technology (MZ-76P1T0BW): Computers & Accessories
I'm sure one would outlast several Spinner hard drives. I myself use all SSD in my Notebooks and my desktop for OS and slowly moving to all SSD. Back up I run 2TB and 3TB external hard drives I just change them out every 3 years if there still running. I have 2 alternating daily backups Plus a Twice daily backup of Important files these are programs that I use daily all day long. if you watch Amazon on Samsung drives the prices fluctuate a lot. Right now that 4TB SSD is pretty pricy as compared to a Fantom G-Force USB 3.0 Fantom Drives G-Force 3 Professional 7200 RPM USB 3.0 - G-FORCE 3 PRO - USB 3.0 - 7200 RPM SERIES - EXTERNAL HDD
I personally use eSATA external as they seem to be much more reliable than USB 3.0 however USB 3.1 Gen 1 and Gen 2 have become quite reliable. I am loyal to Fantom for external there 7200 RPM line uses WD Blacks. Their warranty is golden and the only failure that i have within 3 year period has been the 2 TB that I use on my DirecTV external. these hard drives run 24 - 7 365. Since when you use an EXternal Hard Drive on DTV DVR all data goes through the hard drive some have lasted 5 years I don't change these out until they fail since I can't transfer the stored data to a new hard drive.

Reaction score
Well, that is true however 4 Tb SSD are available and not likely to fail. I have a 1 TB Samsung 950 Pro that I have been using since 2012 for data storage they warranty is for 10 years. There a now 4TB Samsung Evo's Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD 1TB - 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive with MLC V-NAND Technology (MZ-76P1T0BW): Computers & Accessories
I'm sure one would outlast several Spinner hard drives. I myself use all SSD in my Notebooks and my desktop for OS and slowly moving to all SSD. Back up I run 2TB and 3TB external hard drives I just change them out every 3 years if there still running. I have 2 alternating daily backups Plus a Twice daily backup of Important files these are programs that I use daily all day long. if you watch Amazon on Samsung drives the prices fluctuate a lot. Right now that 4TB SSD is pretty pricy as compared to a Fantom G-Force USB 3.0 Fantom Drives G-Force 3 Professional 7200 RPM USB 3.0 - G-FORCE 3 PRO - USB 3.0 - 7200 RPM SERIES - EXTERNAL HDD
I personally use eSATA external as they seem to be much more reliable than USB 3.0 however USB 3.1 Gen 1 and Gen 2 have become quite reliable. I am loyal to Fantom for external there 7200 RPM line uses WD Blacks. Their warranty is golden and the only failure that i have within 3 year period has been the 2 TB that I use on my DirecTV external. these hard drives run 24 - 7 365. Since when you use an EXternal Hard Drive on DTV DVR all data goes through the hard drive some have lasted 5 years I don't change these out until they fail since I can't transfer the stored data to a new hard drive.

Reaction score
Thanks and did not catch my first sentance before hitting reply. Should have been “ So then for backing up is HHD rather then SSD best for storage back ups?”

I am not sure what warranty period is on my drives as i cant find the receipts. Even if covered, its not the money but if a complete loss then no way to recover the data. I do though have Steve Gibsons old spin write, which I dont even remember how to use.

Reaction score
Thanks and did not catch my first sentance before hitting reply. Should have been “ So then for backing up is HHD rather then SSD best for storage back ups?”

I am not sure what warranty period is on my drives as i cant find the receipts. Even if covered, its not the money but if a complete loss then no way to recover the data. I do though have Steve Gibsons old spin write, which I dont even remember how to use.
Well I say that SSDs are far more reliable than Hard Drive, However, hard drives are a lot better now than they were 5 years ago and you get a lot more space per $
Protecting your data can only be assured is your back up in at least 2 separate places. As I said earlier I back up to two different hard drives. And What I didn't mention earlier is that I also have a live back up going on the cloud. Currently, I'm using I-Drive This cloud back up is just for my most important files. I don't back up movies or other nonessential files.
What is best is what you can afford. If I could afford 8 4TB SSD I would be using them for backup, I can't so my next best option is to use external hard drives and rotate them out at warranty end of Life I haven't had one crap out on me is several years other than the ones that I use on my DTV DVR
let me clarify one thing I only speak this way of Samsung SSD, Some others might be good too but my experience is they are top of the line for good reason.

Reaction score
It is hard to say when a HDD will die . I am running 2011 Lenovo desktop with the original Seagate barricuda 1 Terribyte 7200 rpm drive and it still runs fine and never has any bad sectors when I check it . It is generally on 10-12 hours a day . I keep a complete image on a backup Seagate USB via Macrium .

Reaction score
It is hard to say when a HDD will die . I am running 2011 Lenovo desktop with the original Seagate barricuda 1 Terribyte 7200 rpm drive and it still runs fine and never has any bad sectors when I check it . It is generally on 10-12 hours a day . I keep a complete image on a backup Seagate USB via Macrium .
I agree, some do last a long time for storage drives especially in external cases that are not connected all the time. In general, though they all will die at some point and most sooner than later. I don't think we know how long SSD will last in general it seems they will outlast the usefulness as the technology improves rapidly. Spinners or doomed due to the moving parts.

Ask a Question