SOLVED Touchpad Scrolling bar not working since W10 install

Reaction score
Installed Windows 10 a few days ago (I didn't seem to have the option not to) and now my HP laptop scroll bar has stopped working. Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad Properties show the device status as "This device is working properly". If I opt to rollback to the previously installed driver, I'm concerned that this might not be compatible with W10 and then I'll be in real trouble. I have to admit to being fed up, after less than a week, with having to use the arrows on the screen scroll bar or two fingers on my touchpad to get around my computer - arghh! Don't anybody ask me how I like W10! Any help, hopefully not too technical, appreciated - I'm into arts and humanities, not IT ;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Sally and welcome to the forum.
Go here http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers
Plug in the information specific to your particular computer.
See what the have for a driver for your input device(s).
Even if it is just for Windows 8.1 it may very well be better than what you are currently using, which is likely Windows best guess for a generic driver.
Once you have HP's latest driver, then rolling back the driver is an option although, Windows Update may very well take it upon itself to upgrade it again at some later date.
That is why, hopefully, HP will have something new enough to stop Windows from continuing to update that driver.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble, for the clear and well-intentioned advice. I did what i could, and installed the earlier driver, but no joy. HP says they are not going to provide new W10 drivers - wish I'd have known before installing W10 that this might have been a problem.But hang on just a minute, as i recall, I didn't have any option not to install W10. Sigh. I did learn something through my efforts today. I found that there is an option to go back to the earlier Windows within the first month - fleeting moment of optimism - but remembered that since installing W10 i have purchased and installed new virus software, and I'll lose that if I go back - exasperation! Having spent way more of my Saturday than i ever thought possible trying patiently to sort this out, I'm ready to admit defeat to the big guy and bid a sad farewell to my oh-so-convenient scroll bar :( More proof, if i ever needed it, that IT and me are destined never to get along. Time to go for a very long walk or have a very long drink.Thanks anyway.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can always pick up a spare mouse.
I've owned a lot of different laptops over the years and have never, very much liked touchpads / trackpads. I've always had some sort of mouse in the bag as an option.

Ask a Question