Dell Touchpad driver now not working

Reaction score
I have two Dell Laptops which have been upgraded to Windows 10 Home, since Microsoft introduced the OS in 2015. The problem I have is with my other Dell Inspiron M5030, which has Windows 10 Version 1703 OS Build 15063.447. The Laptop has a Dell Touchpad, and way back I also installed a Microsoft Wireless Mouse. My problem with the Dell Touchpad started about 6 weeks ago after a Windows Update, and I now cannot use the Touchpad. When I look in Device Manager I can no longer see the Dell Touchpad under "Mice & other pointing devices", (which has negated any Troubleshooting I wanted to try, because I can't get to the driver to update it/uninstall it). Also I looked in Control Panel/Hardware&Sound/Devices&Printers but could not see the Dell Touchpad there either (not sure it is supposed to be there anyway). If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated !!

Reaction score
I don't see your model number listed on the Dell support site, but my system shows the touchpad under HID devices. No driver is needed or installed according to the Driver properties.

There may also be a setting in Win 10 to turn off the touchpad if using a mouse.

If you have access to the Dell driver downloads, are there drivers for Win 10? If there are, have you install the necessary ones, like chipset?

Reaction score
The Dell Inspiron M5030 has a key on the keyboard to disable the TouchPad. It is next to the F12 key on Function keys row with a "X" mark on it. Perhaps you unintentionally disabled it.

There should also, in the old Control Panel, be a separate Icon for the Dell Touchpad Controls, but I gather from your post that is possibly missing?

Alternatively, go to
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-m5030/drivers?lwp=rt

and see if there is a better driver listed under the driver section for your computer and OS. The Windows 8/8.1, or even the Windows 7 drivers should work.

Reaction score
I don't see your model number listed on the Dell support site, but my system shows the touchpad under HID devices. No driver is needed or installed according to the Driver properties.

There may also be a setting in Win 10 to turn off the touchpad if using a mouse.

If you have access to the Dell driver downloads, are there drivers for Win 10? If there are, have you install the necessary ones, like chipset?

Thanks for your suggestions. The full model number is Dell Inspiron 15 M5030. I bought it in 2010 brand new, so it
maybe a "legacy" product now with Dell. As per another reply I got, there is a "key" that can be pressed on the keyboard
that should deactivate the Touchpad, but in my case it has no effect. I can get to the Dell Driver Downloads okay, but the
only Touchpad Driver available for my model is for Windows 7, and despite the Driver Installer advising me that it has all installed okay the Dell Touchpad still does not work, and I still cannot see the Touchpad in Device Manager !! A Driver definitely was installed when the Dell Touchpad worked, because I remember seeing it (it was an ALPS Driver).

Reaction score
The Dell Inspiron M5030 has a key on the keyboard to disable the TouchPad. It is next to the F12 key on Function keys row with a "X" mark on it. Perhaps you unintentionally disabled it.

There should also, in the old Control Panel, be a separate Icon for the Dell Touchpad Controls, but I gather from your post that is possibly missing?

Alternatively, go to
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-m5030/drivers?lwp=rt

and see if there is a better driver listed under the driver section for your computer and OS. The Windows 8/8.1, or even the Windows 7 drivers should work.

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. I bought the Laptop in 2010 brand new, so it maybe a "legacy" product now with Dell. I immediately found the "key" on the keyboard that should deactivate the Touchpad, but in my case it has no effect (probably because there is no Touchpad Driver currently activated). I can get to Support for the Dell Driver Downloads okay, but the only Touchpad Driver available for my model is for Windows 7, and despite the Driver Installer advising me that it has all installed okay the Dell Touchpad still does not work, and I still cannot see the Touchpad in Device Manager !! A Driver definitely was installed when the Dell Touchpad worked, because I remember seeing it (it was named as an ALPS Driver). I am beginning to think that my problem is more than just "the lack of a driver" (why would the Driver Installer tell me it has successfully installed, and then I can't find the Dell Touchpad in Device Manager ??)

Reaction score
Hi Dave,
Before I attempt your suggestion, let me explain some of my actions earlier today.

When I downloaded the Windows 7 driver from Dell, then extracted it, the files/folders I got included a folder called "Vi64" and I had been pre-warned to open the folder where I would find an Application File called "DPInst.exe" (I was told to Run this Application to start the Driver Installer). I did so, and the Installer appeared to successfully install the Driver, and told me it was done successfully, and to click Finish. However, as I explained earlier the Dell Touchpad did not appear in Device Manager - and the Touchpad did not work !!

My question is "are you suggesting I run the same DPInst.exe but from a completely different location" ??

Reaction score
Not at all! - Been there, done that!
Just for interest (N0 New ideas) I have a folder, which, obviously, is called "DellTPad"
In my family, there are several Dells of various makes and age, all have this folder, together with, of course, a working Touchpad,
The picture shows the contents of the folder. (Note the dates, but this snap is on a new Dell)

If the computer has said the drivers have been installed, but the folder is not showing, then it looks like there is a hardware compatibility problem, due to the age of your machine.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Dave,
Unfortunately I can not find a folder "DellTPad" and I suspect that is because I cannot get the Driver to install correctly for the Touchpad.

With Windows in the past we had the concept of "plug-n-play" when you could connect-up some new Hardware to the Laptop, then thru "Add Hardware" you get to add the correct Driver for that new Hardware !! Dave, do you know what the current method is with Windows 10 for the Operating System to search & find Hardware which does not have its matching Driver installed ??

I am like yourself now, I cannot think of any further troubleshooting steps. It puzzles me that the Touchpad worked fine for 1.75 years with Windows 10, but now seems to be incompatible. Despite this, thanks you for your efforts to help me with this. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
The only way I am aware of, apart from the automatic updates, is to go into the old Control Panel and, in "Troubleshooting", try the "Hardware and sound" "Configure a device" - Advanced

Just curiosity. I see, under my startup tab in the task manager, that the Alp is shown as enabled. Anything there for you?

When you got the driver from the Dell page, was there a possibility of right clicking and installing in Windows 7 compatibility mode?

I have uploaded the complete folder to here:
<a href="http://www.filefactory.com/file/28c6qoo2ffll/DellTPad.zip">Download DellTPad.zip from FileFactory.com</a>
It might be possible to create the folder with these files, and make your own shortcut??

Reaction score
Sorry Dave, I must have been befuddled with my last message to you. I have been troubleshooting on the problem Laptop, and writing to you on the good Laptop. My good Laptop does not have "DellTPad", but the problem Laptop does have it as follows:

upload_2017-7-10_11-23-36.png

Yes, the ALPS Pointing Device Driver is enabled in my Task Manager/Startup tab !!

Yes, I did try installing (the downloaded Dell Driver) in both Windows 7 & 8 compatibility modes. After trying this the Touchpad did not work, and the Dell Touchpad does not appear in Device Manager !!

I've got one more of your suggestions to try, will have to check that one later, then get back to you.

Reaction score
Ok. Makes me frustrated. One of the features I really like in 10 is its backward compatibility, which is failing you. I have to admit this is my last shot. Either your touchpad hardware has failed or is too old. The latter is almost unacceptable to me.
I would suggest a reinstall (fresh) of Windows 10 but I think it will be a waste of time.

Ask a Question