SOLVED Trying to log in to Win 10 from my mac

Reaction score
I recently bought a Mac to use alongside my PC but I cannot figure out how to log into my Windows machine from my Mac. I have a PIN set on my Windows machine but just entering the PIN on my Mac doesn't work. They are connect via wifi and my Mac "sees" the PC without a problem. Any help?

Reaction score
IMO only! I don't think you can log in from a remote source. If you cannot be sure you are logged in, one way would be to use the auto log in trick on the Windows machine.'
I use the RDP windows feature on my computers, which works flawleesly. I have no ide if there is something similar for the MAc? I am connected, also, to a couple of Ipads by the same method.
An Alternative would be to use the program "Team Viewer". I know this is available for the Mac. There you set a password for all computers on the network (each has it own), but they are known to you, of course.

Reaction score
Thanks, but I guess what I'm really asking is what password is the Mac asking for? I don't use a password on my Windows machine except for a PIN which works fine on the Windows machine but the Mac doesn't accept it as the password. See my dilemma?

Reaction score
Sorry. I understand you. Unfortunately the pin is a grey area for me - never did understand it. On sll the computers I look after for friends, I have the “pin” and the password the same. They are all old guys - easy to forget things. Also all uding their computers at home, so they are on auto logins

Reaction score
Thanks, but I guess what I'm really asking is what password is the Mac asking for? I don't use a password on my Windows machine except for a PIN which works fine on the Windows machine but the Mac doesn't accept it as the password. See my dilemma?
Sorry. I understand you. Unfortunately the pin is a grey area for me - never did understand it. On sll the computers I look after for friends, I have the “pin” and the password the same. They are all old guys - easy to forget things. Also all uding their computers at home, so they are on auto logins
OK, thanks for trying. And BTW don't knock "old guys." I'm 69 and can't remember what I had for breakfast most of the time!

Rick

Reaction score
OK, thanks for trying. And BTW don't knock "old guys." I'm 69 and can't remember what I had for breakfast most of the time!

Rick
Lol. I’m 86. I got around that problem by skipping breakfast

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't use a password on my Windows machine except for a PIN
I'm not aware of any situation where you can have a PIN only, without an underlying password for your Windows 10 Account.
I suppose you might be able to have a configuration where you've set up a blank password and maybe augment that with a PIN, I've never tried that, but...
Typically for sharing network resources, when you are prompted for Windows credentials, you'll need to enter the machine name followed by a backslash and then the username and then place the password for that machine and username into the password field.
Something like
Code:
Windows10PC\UserName
Password

Reaction score
Thanks but I'm more confused than ever. I don't log in with a password, just a PIN. So what is my password, or how do I find it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm more confused than ever
My work here is done. :)

Typically when you install Windows 10 on a device
OR
When you step through the OOBE in the case of a new device purchase.....
Early on in the process you are prompted for a user name and password
THIS
Is generally a Microsoft Account, unless you purposely forgo that process and choose specifically to create a LOCAL account.
In the case of a local account I believe you can choose to leave the password blank (empty).
I do not believe that in the case of a Microsoft Account that, that is an option.
SUBSEQUENTLY
You have an option to add a PIN
ADDITIONALLY
You also have an option to add a Picture password
AND
You also have an option (assuming device support) you can opt for "Windows Hello"

I believe that in most if not all of the above scenarios there is an underlying user account with an accompanying password.
What that password might be and how you might recover or determine what it might be would depend on what steps you took in setting up the device initially

Reaction score
I use a password for my Microsoft accounts then when prompted ADD a PIN number to them, have 2 Desktops and 3 Notebooks set up that way. The PINs couldn't be done until after setting a password.

Reaction score
My work here is done. :)

Typically when you install Windows 10 on a device
OR
When you step through the OOBE in the case of a new device purchase.....
Early on in the process you are prompted for a user name and password
THIS
Is generally a Microsoft Account, unless you purposely forgo that process and choose specifically to create a LOCAL account.
In the case of a local account I believe you can choose to leave the password blank (empty).
I do not believe that in the case of a Microsoft Account that, that is an option.
SUBSEQUENTLY
You have an option to add a PIN
ADDITIONALLY
You also have an option to add a Picture password
AND
You also have an option (assuming device support) you can opt for "Windows Hello"

I believe that in most if not all of the above scenarios there is an underlying user account with an accompanying password.
What that password might be and how you might recover or determine what it might be would depend on what steps you took in setting up the device initially

Reaction score
Thanks to all who tried to help an old doddering person like me. Believe it or not, I solved it on my own. I changed from a PIN to a password on my PC and then the Mac connected once I put in the password and user info it requested.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Great.... thanks for following up and letting us know that you were able to resolve your issue.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question