Two laptops - no TPM on either

Reaction score
I have two laptops, one an old Dell and a slightly newer Lenovo. Neither of them have TPM, but the Dell loaded Windows 11 as soon as it was available and the Lenovo fails as no TPM 2.0.

How does that work?

Reaction score
Are you sure the Dell does not have firmware TPM in the mobo? It isn't always called 'TPM' in the bios.

Or, if the Dell was in the Insider program then it would load these preview versions...albeit with a warning.

Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks for your reply. The Dell is an old Inspiron 1545 and does not have TPM. Both laptops are on the insider program in the dev channel. I was more than surprised when the Dell loaded Windows 11 after I had received a fail on the Lenovo. I cannot figure out why.

Gerry

Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks for your reply. The Dell is an old Inspiron 1545 and does not have TPM. Both laptops are on the insider program in the dev channel. I was more than surprised when the Dell loaded Windows 11 after I had received a fail on the Lenovo. I cannot figure out why.

Gerry
just goes to show you most current Win 10 machines would run 11 just fine without these onerous Win 11 restrictions. They will just alienate a lot of people who will just keep running 10 even with some risk . I would venture to say as long as you have a good AV and malware product running once they cut updating Defender you will be fine on windows 10 .

Reaction score
I have 6 Notebooks with only one having the TPM 1.2 feature, haven't found if there's an update for that one yet.

Reaction score
You could run Windows 11 as a virtual drive using windows built in Hyper-V. I was running several versions of W11 on a base system that was using a mbr boot process on a non gpt system drive. With that setup, the base system was not eligible for W11. The virtual drives are set up to meet all W11 specs and run with no problems.

Reaction score
I think a lot of people are concerned about compatibility issues with the upcoming Windows 11 release in October, myself included. Thankfully I do have all the necessary requirements with one exception, my processor is a Ryzen 5 1600 which isn't officially supported, however... , having watched this rather informative video from Linus Tech Tips I'm feeling a lot more confident.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You could run Windows 11 as a virtual drive using windows built in Hyper-V. I was running several versions of W11 on a base system that was using a mbr boot process on a non gpt system drive. With that setup, the base system was not eligible for W11. The virtual drives are set up to meet all W11 specs and run with no problems.
I've tried running Windows 11 using VirtualBox. I was able to create a running VM with the first version of Win 11 released. However, when I tried creating VMs with later releases, I got the TPM error. Ultimately, I found a version of Win 11 (latest release) that someone had somehow modified to allow installation on a non-TPM system. I was able to create a VM using this version. It appears to be fully functional.

I truly hope that MS sees fit to release non-TPM versions of Win 11. There are many of us out there that, as much as we'd like to, cannot afford to purchase a new system just so we can run the newest version of Windows... a version that we were originally told (after Windows 10 was released) would never appear! I've been a Windows advocate since day one (I still have my original Windows 1.0 5" floppy disks!). But, this really looks like an about-face on their original statement that Windows 10 would be the LAST version of Windows released and that everything update from that point would be an update to Windows 10.

Just saying...

Reaction score
I
I've tried running Windows 11 using VirtualBox. I was able to create a running VM with the first version of Win 11 released. However, when I tried creating VMs with later releases, I got the TPM error. Ultimately, I found a version of Win 11 (latest release) that someone had somehow modified to allow installation on a non-TPM system. I was able to create a VM using this version. It appears to be fully functional.

Just saying...
I use Hyper-V, which is part of Windows Pro. When you create the VM, you just enable Secure Boot, TPM, Memory size, and the the other criteria. It doesn't matter what your host system has for specs.

Reaction score
just goes to show you most current Win 10 machines would run 11 just fine without these onerous Win 11 restrictions. They will just alienate a lot of people who will just keep running 10 even with some risk . I would venture to say as long as you have a good AV and malware product running once they cut updating Defender you will be fine on windows 10 .
Just because your current computer did load a complementary copy of Windows 11, do not expect it to download the final Windows 11 release when it becomes available, unless it meets Microsoft's minimum requirements at release time. I believe the lack of a valid TPM will keep millions of Windows 10 machines from downloading the release version of Win 11. Remember, this is all up to Microsoft and they could change the rules anytime they want to. I look for some relaxation, but do not have a clue what that will be. These people who have bought new machines the last 2-3 years are going to be pissed and calling out Microsoft. If enough people contact Microsoft and complain, that might dictate how much they relax the security requirements.

Reaction score
A laptop (not mine) caught fire when she insisted installing Windows 11 on it. I'm not sure what happened there unless the thing overheated because of a driver issue but right now, that laptop looks like a piece of toast with a tad bit of burnt watermelon on it.

Reaction score
The Windows 11 Preview does NOT require TPM, nor does it operate TPM on machines that have it. When the full version comes out, it will reject computers without TPM However...

So many geeks have figured out how to install it anyway (One guy installed Win 11 on a Mac), that MS has given up the fight, stating only that it won't support those machines.

Ask a Question