UAC message from running Regedit

Reaction score
This is a recent change, with no obvious cause. If I try to run Regedit (via Win 10 Run box) I get this message:

UAC-Regedit-1.jpg

I'm also getting it for a few other programs that never used to be a problem (may post separately about that issue). But it seems particularly absurd that an MS program built into Win 10 Pro should display it.

Anyone know how I might fix it please?

Note: My UAC setting is on the third option, i.e. one above totally OFF.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reaction score
Just say YEs if you know where you are going. It is a built in warning

Reaction score
I right click the run command and run as administrator. I have 2 local accounts my regular (user) daily account and a local admin account that I use for PC maintenance, a safety net.

Reaction score
I right click the run command and run as administrator.
I'm fixing to set everything I have installed to run as administrator by default. I'm tired of all the glitches my applications get because of system permissions.

Reaction score
I've turned UAC off because I don't want to deal with them at all. I've grown to hate Microsoft over this very BS.

Reaction score
I've turned UAC off because I don't want to deal with them at all. I've grown to hate Microsoft over this very BS.
Well, that way you have opened the door to any kind of malware. Turning the UAC off is like an invitation.
Don't be surprised if some day YOU do NOT have any control over your computer and worse: you are actually helping spread malware cause the UAC is there to let you know that system changes are about to happen.just shaking my head

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it??

Reaction score
You may have turned UAC off, but MS can turn it back on, even if you don't.
This has happened to me on previous Insider editions.

Turn it off & leave it off.

Reaction score
Ignorance is bliss, isn't it??
I hope you are not calling me ignorant all because I know how to use and manage my machine without MS shit. That is if I can manage to keep their shit from preventing me from managing my own machine. Microsoft's account control is the malware.

Reaction score
what is ignorant is that you only manage what you see not what is going on behind the scenes. Do you have an AV-program or do you manage that as well?? Just curious...
I am sorry but I fail to comprehend this kind of short-sightedness....
But... after all, it is your computer and you can do whatever you like with it. I merely expressing my concerns...

Reaction score
Do you have an AV-program or do you manage that as well?? Just curious...
I am sorry but I fail to comprehend this kind of short-sightedness....
What is short-sighted is you as well as Microsoft thinking I (as in everyone) am computer illiterate. Microsoft's UAC only complicates things. UAC will not keep a computer illiterate from becoming infected. Neither will turning off UAC automatically infect a machine

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As I see it.....
It boils down to a matter of personal preference.
I have to agree with Cliff on this one, although I would certainly not even suggest that turning off UAC is for everyone.
I do appreciate not having to respond to a UAC prompt every time I launch Regedit or an Admin Command Prompt or other applications that evoke the User Account Control.

Some of us have the requisite skills and sophistication to operate most household appliances, including a computer without doing harm to it, ourselves or others, and.....
Can manage quite nicely without a Nanny or other would-be babysitter looking over our shoulders.
AND
It doesn't have anything to do with ignorance (blissful or otherwise).
Nothing is going to keep anyone or anything, completely safe, least of all UAC.
A lot of infected computers that I work on arrive with UAC enabled (unless the malware turned it off) and they are generally owned by users who wouldn't even know how to turn off UAC or what it is.

I'm pretty sure that very nearly 100% of the times that I've been prompted by UAC, I've answered in the affirmative, as in......
OF course I want to do that, I'm the one who clicked whatever it was that got us here.
So I then have to wonder..... how many times, someone has actually seen a UAC prompt and clicked NO?

Reaction score
Just say YEs if you know where you are going. It is a built in warning

I agree that the physical effort for each Regedit usage is small. But I think it's an unintelligent and thoughtless design to repeatedly ask me the same question about the same program. I've been the sole user of a PC for 34 years. So, just as I don't need a written warning every single time I cross the road or drive my car, I object to being unable to switch off this tiresome UAC message.

Reaction score
I can only quote Trouble's post
"I'm pretty sure that very nearly 100% of the times that I've been prompted by UAC, I've answered in the affirmative, as in......
OF course I want to do that, I'm the one who clicked whatever it was that got us here."

Microsoft make blunders, but this message is merely a popup warning that what you are about to do is not coming from them, but possibly an infiltration. It si so trivial that I do the same as Trouble, and no longer even notice it - almost a reflex action.

Reaction score
Maybe I am reading the "solution" wrongly, but, is that quicker than just clicking "Yes"?

Reaction score
sorry. I didn't read the post on another forum in detail, just needed to see what the suggestion was.

Ask a Question