Un-installing Windows 10

Reaction score
Greetings. I have a question about 10 . Does anyone know if it is possible to un-install windows 10? I am running a lot of comm programs and they seem to not be compatible with 10. I am having trouble going back to 7 since 10 has wiped out my old version of windows even though it has only been 3 weeks since the upgrade. I'm really confused. Thanks.
T.J.

Reaction score
it has only been 3 weeks since the upgrade.

If that is the case ( only 3 weeks ), then use this method to go back to Win 7.................

left click at Start button > left side, click Settings > select Update & Security > left side, click Recovery > under Go Back to Windows 7, click the Get Started button > follow the prompts from then on......................

*** note : That Go Back To option is available only for 30 days counting from the day you installed Windows 10.

Reaction score
Greetings. I have a question about 10 . Does anyone know if it is possible to un-install windows 10? I am running a lot of comm programs and they seem to not be compatible with 10. I am having trouble going back to 7 since 10 has wiped out my old version of windows even though it has only been 3 weeks since the upgrade. I'm really confused. Thanks.
T.J.
If that is the case ( only 3 weeks ), then use this method to go back to Win 7.................

left click at Start button > left side, click Settings > select Update & Security > left side, click Recovery > under Go Back to Windows 7, click the Get Started button > follow the prompts from then on......................

*** note : That Go Back To option is available only for 30 days counting from the day you installed Windows 10.
That's the point, it wiped 7 right out of the hard drive. It's not supposed to do that. Anyway back to the question how do I format the hard drive or un-install 10?

Reaction score
Anyway back to the question how do I format the hard drive or un-install 10?

I posted the way to go back to Windows 7 in my first reply.
If you do that, you will be in essence uninstalling Windows 10.
Do we misunderstand each other some how ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's the point, it wiped 7 right out of the hard drive.
Is it possible that something you've done or a software product that you have run, has wiped your Windows.OLD folder from the root of C:\
If so, then there is no way back to Windows 7 except to do a clean install, after first backing up all your critical data.

Reaction score
Is it possible that something you've done or a software product that you have run, has wiped your Windows.OLD folder from the root of C:\
If so, then there is no way back to Windows 7 except to do a clean install, after first backing up all your critical data.

Yes. I forgot about mentioning windows.old.
Spent too much time on the "dual boot" thread, my head was spinning.
Thank you for pointing that out.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise Dave. I don't run any malicious software or stuff like that. I run Primarily Ham radio software like satellite tracking software and radio control software and also software to decode certain forms of signal like rtty, ascii, and cw. I am not a guru by any way shape or form and just barley get by but I do know everything was fine prior to windows 10. The computer even seems to be running slower than normal and this is a very high end machine with HD and 3D graphics. I need that stuff for satellite's and slow scan TV. Also good for predicting sunspot activity and solar disruptions. Oh I do run flight simulator 10 but even that did not run so I deleted it from the drive.
If you know, please tell me how to format the hard drive so I can do a clean install of windows 7.

Reaction score
I am not qualified to help you in that matter.
Please wait just a bit and someone will come along to help you.
Good luck.

Reaction score
tell me how to format the hard drive so I can do a clean install of windows 7.
And any one who is willing can walk you through the process. However; It would be just as easy to google it and do it without such personalized service. Simply type in "How to do a clean install of Windows 7". Here is a link;
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-7-8

The only thing which is not explained by "How To Geek" here is how to get your computer to boot from the disc (or usb) . You can ask that question of google too or we can help you if you do not know how to do that.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you know, please tell me how to format the hard drive so I can do a clean install of windows 7.
Basically the same way you format prior to any other installation..... just be sure there is nothing on the drive that you want to keep.

Boot from the installation media
When the pick your language and keyboard layout screen comes up, hold the shift key and hit F10 on your keyboard
In the dos prompt window that is produce type
diskpart
hit enter
At the DISKPART> prompt type
list disk
hit enter
Now the most critical important part of the process
Determine which disk you want to work with..... ideally there should be only one, just make sure you do not choose the wrong one, when you type
select disk 0 (where 0 is the disk you want to work with)
hit enter and type
clean
hit enter
type exit
hit enter
type exit again
hit enter
Proceed with the install, that will auto configure the disk or if you want create and size a partition for installation, although I would generally recommend accepting the defaults and doing an sizing or resizing afterwards.

Ask a Question