Unable to boot except for safe mode

Reaction score
I recently installed Windows 10 from 8.1 on my HP pavilion laptop (I got it just over a year ago, not sure the exact model). All I did was go through the free upgrade process.

Everything seemed to work fine in the first 24 hours, but now I encounter a blue screen with grey lines when I try to boot. Eventually, after a few attempts (on its own) at rebooting, I get to the repair/restore screen. System restore hasn't worked in the few times I've attempted it, and I can only boot up in safe mode without networking.

Any suggestions for how to resolve this? I have no media disc for Windows 10 or anything like that, and I'm relatively inept in programming.

Reaction score
Windows 10 has an option for users to go back to your previous Windows if they want to.
The offer is good for 30 days starting from the day Windows 10 is installed.

If all else fails, you might need to do that and go back to your Windows 8.1, but don't wait too long before 30 days have past.

Here is how ....................
Start button > left side, click Settings > click Update & Security > left side, click Recovery > right side, you should see an option " Go back to Windows 8.1 "
Under it, it has a Get Started button > click it and follow the prompts.

Reaction score
Try this.......................
Start button > left side, click Settings > click Update and Security > left side, click Recovery > under Reset this PC, click the Get Started button > follow the prompts.

See if this will bring you back to the " first 24 hours".

Ask a Question