Unable to boot to Windows 10 after reboot from clean install

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've tried to install windows 10 from scratch. I've create installation USB using windows 10 media creation tool (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install), loaded from it and installed Windows successfully. After it I've installed my apps and windows updates. After reboot, I can't load to windows. I get error message:

Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed.
Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key
Then Select 'Boot Managed' to choose a new Boot Device or to Boot Recovery Media

I've tried to repair loader with Windows troubleshooting tools, but it failed.

I have Acer Aspire S7.
Please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks,
Eugene.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've tried to install windows 10 from scratch. I've create installation USB using windows 10 media creation tool (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install), loaded from it and installed Windows successfully. After it I've installed my apps and windows updates. After reboot, I can't load to windows. I get error message:

Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed.
Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key
Then Select 'Boot Managed' to choose a new Boot Device or to Boot Recovery Media

I've tried to repair loader with Windows troubleshooting tools, but it failed.

I have Acer Aspire S7.
Please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks,
Eugene.
did you ever get a solution? I know if you select legacy it will reboot after install, but then you don't get the benefit of the fast reboots from UEFI

Reaction score
Only works if you managed to get windows 10 up and running. the problem was after running through the installation of win 10 and it's associated files, the computer then is supposed to boot into win 10 to finish configuring the system. But it would always come back with a "Default Boot Device Missing or boot failed
Insert recovery media and hit any key"
error. What I ended up doing was updating the bios to 2.05 and viola, it booted.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good work Mark and thanks for sharing your solution.
Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
ha ok a old bios that dont old the uefi boot :)

a least you find the path to do it !

Only works if you managed to get windows 10 up and running. the problem was after running through the installation of win 10 and it's associated files, the computer then is supposed to boot into win 10 to finish configuring the system. But it would always come back with a "Default Boot Device Missing or boot failed
Insert recovery media and hit any key"
error. What I ended up doing was updating the bios to 2.05 and viola, it booted.

Ask a Question