SOLVED Unable to Boot into safe mode

Reaction score
Husband was trying to connect with internet. Wasn't working. So he did a reboot. Well came back up with a different wall paper. And that was it. If you click on screen you get the icon for Wi-Fi and restart power off icon. Tried alt del. Right clicks nothing.

Then tried reboot with doing f8 to bring back up in safe mode.
Nothing unable to get it into save mode.
Help
Thank you

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Susan,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you are wanting to get into Safe Mode and are still able to log into a normal desktop, albeit it appears to have a new wallpaper, then:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Run
  • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • Left-click the Boot tab
  • Check Safe boot and Network as in sample image below, then click OK

Sample Image

Untitled.png

After clicking OK this box will pop up:

Untitled2.png

If no other apps are open you need to save files in and close first, then click Restart.

If, there are apps you wish to manually save files in and close first, then click Exit without restart, do what you have to do then Shutdown computer. When you next start computer it will boot to Safe Mode with Networking.

After you've done what it is you wish to do in this mode while in Safe Mode with Networking repeat the steps above but remove checks next to Safe boot and Network then click OK in order for your computer to boot normally to Desktop again.
Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you are unable to right-click on Start then try:
  • pressing Windows key and R key together to open the Run dialog

If even doing that does not work then either from logon screen, or from Desktop:
  • Left-click on Start (only if on Desktop, if at logon screen start at next step)
  • Left-click on Power icon
  • Three options will pop up. Press and hold your left Shift key down then click Restart

Sample Image

safemode.png

• You'll be taken to the Recovery Screen. Click Troubleshoot
  • On next screen click Advanced Options
  • On next screen click Startup settings
  • On next screen click the Restart button
  • On next screen press 5 key to select Safe Mode with Networking

The computer will restart and go to this Safe mode option.

You will need to sign in with user password (not a pin).

Once you have done what it is you wish to do in this mode, simply left-click on Start and either shutdown or restart. Either way you next boot will take you to the normal lock screen / logon page to get to a normal Desktop.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you,
But I'm unable to do.
When it boots up this is the login screen I get. Then this is
The restart button I get. Along with WiFi and easy access.
No other screens or menus..

Attachments

• 20160925_030429_kindlephoto-45904561.jpg
    20160925_030429_kindlephoto-45904561.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 458
  • 20160925_030819_kindlephoto-45974822.jpg
    20160925_030819_kindlephoto-45974822.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 528

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes but when you click Power icon there you see that Sleep, Shut down, and Restart choices pop up.

At that point press and hold the left shift key down and while held down click Restart.

This should take you to the recovery screen where you continue with the other steps I posted earlier, starting with clicking Troubleshoot etcetera ...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well do you have a Windows 10 DVD or USB with Windows 10 ISO burned to it?

You'll be needing it if you cannot get to Safe Mode and also cannot log on to Desktop to boot from with the goal of attempting to to a repair or reset of your system.

The ISO you download from Microsoft must match what you have installed now.

Same edition, same language, and same architecture (i.e. 32 or 64-bit).

Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Click the download tool now button. That is roughly 5.5 MB. Run it and you'll be prompted to select a Windows 10 ISO to download. That is 3+ GB in size. Once it downloads the last screen gives you the option to burn to DVD if you chose to download for DVD, or burn to USB if you chose that as your initial option.

When its done burning, you then click the Finish button.

Then you need to insert the DVD or USB to your broken computer and boot from it.

It will bring you to a screen telling you the Edition, Language, and architecture type. Click the Next button there.

On the next screen click Repair link and follow prompts.

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I will try this. Question I do have his hole system back up on external drive I'm not sure if he made a recovery on this to. If he has can I use that?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ahh, yes sure if you made an image of the system you could use that.

I'm not sure what software you used to do that, but I assume if you made the image you'll be familiar with how to use it to replace the current corrupt one.

Ask a Question