Unable to connect to LG smart TV

Reaction score
Can not connect to LG smart tv from Win 10 Asus laptop using WiFi direct or Miracast. W10 at V1909 with 2020-04 installed. Can connect to same LG smart TV with ipad or iphone but not W10 Asus laptop. WiFi direct virtual adapter active and both TV and laptop are connected to same network. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Have you tried adding other devices?. :)

bt and od.jpg

Reaction score
So when you click connect in the notifications panel what does it say? Does it show the TV but won't connect or just say it can't finad anything to connect top.

For example, my main PC does not have Wifi so it just tells be it cannot connect to anything.

Reaction score
Wifi direct only works with Android devices as the OS on a LG TV is based on that. Miracast usually works but depends on if the source (your computer) is capable of it. I was never able to use either with my laptop although I am able to stream Videos to my LG TV by using the cast function (rightclick on the video file, then "cast to device" ). Screen mirroring also only works with android devices if that is what you are trying to do. The best solution is still hard wiring it through HDMI cable. However you could try Chrome cast, but I have never used it.

Reaction score
So when you click connect in the notifications panel what does it say? Does it show the TV but won't connect or just say it can't finad anything to connect top.

For example, my main PC does not have Wifi so it just tells be it cannot connect to anything.
When I attempt to connect from PC action center TV is shown but fails to connect. WiFi direct virtual adapter is enabled via device manager.

Reaction score
Wifi direct only works with Android devices as the OS on a LG TV is based on that. Miracast usually works but depends on if the source (your computer) is capable of it. I was never able to use either with my laptop although I am able to stream Videos to my LG TV by using the cast function (rightclick on the video file, then "cast to device" ). Screen mirroring also only works with android devices if that is what you are trying to do. The best solution is still hard wiring it through HDMI cable. However you could try Chrome cast, but I have never used it.
Grizzly: Thanks for the clarification. When I right click on video file and cast to device I see no instructions on tv. TV is connected to same wifi as laptop but what instructions should I follow on tv?

Attachments

• casttodevice.JPG
    casttodevice.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 509
Reaction score
LG TV, if streamed to, usually show a message on the screen to allow the streaming. Confirm it and you should be able to see your video.

I usually do not stream per se, however, I myself copy the video to an external HDD/SDD and plug it in via USB port on the TV. Works perfectly.

Reaction score
I also use your method with external SDD but unable to do subtitles with that method so thought streaming video with pc using VLC would allow subtitles.

Reaction score
I also use your method with external SDD but unable to do subtitles with that method so thought streaming video with pc using VLC would allow subtitles.

Subtitles depend on if they are encoded in the movie. Many videos do not have subtitles. No player can create them AFAIK...

Reaction score
I should of been more clear as the movie I was attempting to watch did not have a internal subtitle and I was attempting to use an external file subtitle.

Ask a Question