Unable to connect to internet and disc drive is topping at 100%

Reaction score
This is an update to my earlier thread.

Windows 10 automatically updated this past weekend. Since then, I have been unable to connect to the internet on my laptop and upon entering task manager, my disc drive is apparently working at 100% capacity. This seems to slow down my laptop, but both occurrences began after Windows 10 updated.

So, I uninstalled the update, which didn't solve the problem, so I called support. We went through every command and troubleshooting process in the book. Eventually, they decided a system restore would be good to do. So, I restored Windows to the latest auto restore point, which was on Dec. 4th, days before any problems began happening. This did not solve the problem. I still can't connect to the internet and my disc drive is still operating at 100%. I'm awaiting a follow up call, but decided to ask here for help.

Reaction score
This is an update to my earlier thread.

Windows 10 automatically updated this past weekend. Since then, I have been unable to connect to the internet on my laptop and upon entering task manager, my disc drive is apparently working at 100% capacity. This seems to slow down my laptop, but both occurrences began after Windows 10 updated.

So, I uninstalled the update, which didn't solve the problem, so I called support. We went through every command and troubleshooting process in the book. Eventually, they decided a system restore would be good to do. So, I restored Windows to the latest auto restore point, which was on Dec. 4th, days before any problems began happening. This did not solve the problem. I still can't connect to the internet and my disc drive is still operating at 100%. I'm awaiting a follow up call, but decided to ask here for help.
According to the Microsoft website, another update KB3206632 was released yesterday to solve the 'unable to connect to internet' issue. Not sure how I'm supposed to get this update when I can't connect to wifi or Ethernet.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does your laptop happen to have an Ethernet port, that you can use to connect wired to your router temporarily to see, if that might get you over the hump.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the start button and choose "Run" from the context menu and in the run dialog box type
ncpa.cpl
hit enter or click OK
Does either of your network adapter show up on the Network Connections window?
IF so right click one and choose "Status"
Use the "Details" button to see what you have for an IP addressing schema.
You can also use the properties button to assign static values to IPv4, which may help you, if you know the IP addressing schema on your network.
You should be able to check the same place on a working computer to get some idea of what you need in the way of an......
IPv4 address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS Server(s)
The only one that would need to be unique and cannot exist on any other network node is the IP (v4) Address, the rest should be the same. You can ignore IPv6 for the purposes of this exercise even uncheck it if you want.

Reaction score
I tried once before to assign static values. I must have done it incorrectly. Would the DNS servers be the same across any device (iPad, laptop, iphone)?

Reaction score
Either I'm inputting the wrong numbers or it won't work with static either. I'm on a college campus and I'm just picking random numbers for the last 3 (IPv4), hoping they aren't in use.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... that may be a problem.
Perhaps you might seek some assistance from someone on the College's I.T. staff and see if they have any recommendation.
Do you have the same problem off campus, at a coffee shop or McDonalds or Dunkin, someplace like that?
OR at home..... isn't it getting close to the Christmas break.

Reaction score
Yes, I'm going to be home Friday. I'll try to assign a static IP then too.

I also have a phone call appointment with Microsoft support on Friday. They upped my case to a lvl 2 technician, so I take it my problem is somewhat complicated.

And I tried to connect to a hotspot, but that didn't work either

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the context menu and in the command prompt window type
netsh int ip reset
hit enter
then type
netsh int ipv6 reset
hit enter
then type
netsh winsock reset
hit enter
reboot your computer

See if that does anything.

Reaction score
I believe support had me enter these as well. I did the same for the sake of trying, and unfortunately I still am unable to connect to the internet.

If I do the ipconfig command, it shows an automatic IP address that begins with 169. I read that if your given IP begins with that, it implies the DHCP is being faulty

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If I do the ipconfig command, it shows an automatic IP address that begins with 169. I read that if your given IP begins with that, it implies the DHCP is being faulty
That's correct, it means that..... for some reason your particular network adapter is not getting proper DHCP information containing the correct IP addressing schema from the DHCP server.

As a last resort you can try this
http://www.rizonesoft.com/downloads/complete-internet-repair/
I've had some success with it.
It basically does what I suggested above and some other things as well.
Again, you'll need to reboot when it's done.
Just check all the boxes and let it rip.

Reaction score
I would need to download it externally first, right? Since my internet doesn't work on the laptop.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you have access to another computer you can use Internet Explorer on that computer to download the Stand Alone Installer for KB3206632 which is suppose to address the problem, from here.....
https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3206632

The one for a 64 bit system is plainly marked as
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)
The one for 32 bit system (smaller of the two and ignore the one for server) is Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 (KB3206632)
Make sure you get the correct one for your system architecture.
IF you can get that onto a USB Thumb Drive or SD Card (assuming your laptop has an SD Card Reader) you should be able to then run that, independent of a working network connection.

Reaction score
I downloaded the update and restarted my laptop, but I still can't connect to the internet. I even tried to assign a static IP now that I'm home.

Reaction score
I believe I'm typing the correct info. I've tried 2 or 3 different IPs but still no connection

Ask a Question