Unable to connect to internet and disc drive is topping at 100%

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It might help, just in case there might be some third party software causing your issue.

NOTE: It's best to test with the Ethernet / Wired Adapter when using Safe Mode with Networking.
Sometimes wireless drivers won't load in Safe Mode with Networking, it's 50 / 50 whether they will or won't. IDK why.

Reaction score
It says I my device is connected and can access other devices on my local network, but can't access the internet

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What is it showing for a Default Gateway and DNS Server(s)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The gateway makes sense, since it is likely the inside edge of your Router, but.....
Sometimes it doesn't always work properly as a DNS forwarder and it might be a good idea to input the two Google DNS server addresses manually.
AND

You might try ping (from a command prompt) 216.58.216.100 see what that returns
Also you might try pasting that same IP into a URL address bar in your browser and see if it opens Google.
See if that does anything to help.

Reaction score
Pinging gave 4 failures and 100% packet loss sending 4 packets.

Googling the IP gave the error that my internet access is blocked. It says it might be a firewall or antivirus software

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It says it might be a firewall or antivirus software
That's exactly what I was hoping to circumvent by using Safe Mode with Networking.

Any overzealous third party security software can cause this problem, if misconfigured or if trusts are not established properly.
Do you have any such software installed (Avast, Avira, AVG, Comodo, McAfee, Symantec / Norton, ZoneAlarm, etc., etc., etc.
IF so uninstall it completely and run their vendor specific proprietary removal tool to make sure all remnants are gone.

Reaction score
All I have (as far as I know) is Malwarebytes and Windows Defender. Is there a way to check for other software?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there a way to check for other software?
IF you didn't install it and it didn't come pre-installed, then I don't know why it would be present on your system.
What kind of system is it? Some manufacturer's pre-install some software at the factory, like Dell Data Safe, which I've heard can create some problems.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No idea......
YOu can always try disabling the Windows Firewall, just to see if that may have been misconfigured somehow.
Other than that, I'm definitely at a loss.

Reaction score
Disabled it, still nothing.
(turned it back on afterwards)

I have a support call scheduled for tomorrow night. Hoping they can fix it and I won't have to bring my laptop to a Microsoft store.

Thanks for trying, I will reply later if the problem is solved

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks, I'd sure be interested in anything that you might find that resolves it, short of reinstalling Windows 10.

Reaction score
the technician had my do a reset, but choosing to save the files. I did so, and the reset got to 100%. My laptop begins booting up and gets stuck on the loading screen. It's those white dots that keep circling. I waited 15-20 minutes and then held the power button till it shut down and restarted. The laptop booted up and showed the white dots loading. So I held the power button again and when it booted up, the screen said 'undoing changes'. When it reached the login-in screen, I logged on and all my programs were still there.

I just did another reset (saving files), and it's stuck on the loading screen once again.

I will call back in the afternoon (Sunday), and see what to do

Reaction score
Less than a minute after posting my previous reply. I read another thread saying to unplug any USBs. I take out my wireless mouse USB and boom it continues the process.

Ask a Question