Unable to sign in to Windows 10---Cause my stupidity

Reaction score
I have a laptop with Windows 10 Pro. I have two hard drives. A standing magnetic drive (which is making clicking sounds) and an SSD that I installed.

I was using the install on the SSD and had to boot into safe mode. I didn't know the password because I was using the pin option to sign in to a microsoft account. I ended up using a password reset tool to remove the password for the account.

Now I'm locked out entirely from that account because I can't get any password to authenticate.

Is there anything I can do other than nuke and re-install? I do have an administrator account I can log in with on the SSD system and I can use my PIN to log into the install on the other drive.

I had the idea to copy the SAM over but that didn't work.

Reaction score
If you are logged as an administrator into the same Windows install on the SSD as the one that is messed up, why don't you just copy all the user files somewhere else? Include some of the files in that user's AppData directory. Then delete the account and recreate it. All the Desktop Apps are still installed so you just have to recreate the links to them. As for the Windows Apps, just login with the same Windows account, go to the Store and click on your image. Click on My Library to reinstall all your Apps associated with that account. Finally copy all those other files into this user's directories and you should be good to go.

Ask a Question