Unauthorized software installation

Reaction score
I have had several software installed, when "Flash Player" asked to be updated. Since this is the only request for update, these other software came within this "trusted" website. What came with it? 1) "PC malware remover" which immediately told me I had something wrong with my PC that needed attention and proceeded to install itself without approval/acknowledgement. 2) Chromium was also installed. This one didn't even showed installation. I found it after I started to remove the PC malware.
And one more that I removed by looking at the date, but can't remember the name.
Has anyone had has this problem? How can it be prevented.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi fpenalver,

When you initially chose to download the update and install there would have been a screen asking you to confirm you want the addons as well. Simply uncheck them before continuing with the install of Flash.

If you are unsure what the other item was you could return to Flash site and download the install again making sure to make a note of the bundled addons offered in addition to the actual Flash install you want.

Once identified you ought to be able to go your search box and type Programs and Features | press Enter

Now locate the bundled software and click on each one and uninstall.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score

Every registry cleaner or malware preventer will always be just what you need to keep your pathetically vulnerable PC operating. They offer a "free " scan which always ends with only double figures which need to be cleared but only after you "register" (provide credit card number).

This is a classic case of let the buyer beware and it is not preventable but is avoidable once you realize what a scam it is.

What Regedit32 said about avoiding unwanted add ons is absolutely true, Read the fine print to decline the junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks for responding and you're right! Reading the fine print is definitely the proper thing to do. What's troublesome is the facts that it proceeded to install itself without my approval which sound to me like "ransomware" hiding in Flash Player update request.
Had I had the chance to accept or cancel; I would have gone with cancel. I believed that "ALL" those security software have codes to keep everything running good 'til you don't renew. If you don't renew things start to happen with the PC shortly thereafter.

Reaction score
I completely agree with Regedit and JMcCleary. My 3 pcs have been reliable with W10, both insider and production. I firmly believe I owe this to NEVER downloading any of these 'improvements' and magic fixes to update drivers and so on AND not allowing any 3rd party AV packages near any of my machines.

I am convinced that a good number of failed updates, both the first one to W10 from W7 or W8 and the subsequent updates are caused by AV packages running on the machines.

Reaction score
I agreed to the Flash install and as it was downloading, a warning window pop-up with the "there's something wrong with your PC that needs your attention". In the option box to accept or deny -clicking on the "deny" trigger the installation and trying to close/stop the software download --did not work. That's is why I had to go to the control panel and uninstall everything that was downloaded with today's date.

Reaction score
This Flash install. Was it the actual Adobe site or somewhere else?

The official site https:// get.adobe.com/flashplayer does offer an AV suite and TrueKey by Intel but they are easily refused.

If some other site came up and offered Flash it probably was the problem.

And There was an official update to Flash from Windows update which some people had trouble with but I suspect that it was an official Adobe update.

Reaction score
Tim; I was from the Adobe site. I wasn't sure about the update request and before I agreed to the download --I went to the site to confirm it was legit. That's when everything started to happened.

Reaction score
Okay, how do you get rid of it? There's more than one way, but I advise you to install the free Win Patrol. I have used it successfully since Windows XP. It has tabs for deleting or disabling unwanted start-up programs. It is usually able to stop processes that can't be deleted unless they are stopped first.

And I have clearly unchecked boxes for having a new program automatically start up when I start Windows 10, and yet they try. Win Patrol usually catches them.

Reaction score
Win Patrol is a winner. I have it and like it. The same outfit makes Anti-ransomware which is a bit of overkill but I'm trying it out.

The paid version of Revo Uninstaller gets rid of most stuff for me.

Reaction score
I have had several software installed, when "Flash Player" asked to be updated. Since this is the only request for update, these other software came within this "trusted" website. What came with it? 1) "PC malware remover" which immediately told me I had something wrong with my PC that needed attention and proceeded to install itself without approval/acknowledgement. 2) Chromium was also installed. This one didn't even showed installation. I found it after I started to remove the PC malware.
And one more that I removed by looking at the date, but can't remember the name.

This is typically on free software. When you install you get propmted to accept installing other software. I just read every message and answer no or skip when an install trys to install other software besides that one I want. Also I've noticed that they are many FAKE Flash install pages. I've noticed if the pages just says FLASH and doesn't mention Adobe Flash on the page it's probably malware. The key word is Adobe if it;s authentic.

Ask a Question