Uninstall Edge Service possible?

Reaction score
When I look at the services which are (automatically) setup on my Win10 system I found an entry similar to

Name 128765128384681D675567E6666666321.....
User Run
Command Line="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" -type=service/prefetch:8

I never used Edge (as browser) before and I plan to not use it in future.

Can I uninstall this service (its currently disabled)?

Or is this service eventually required for other components (like File Explorer)?

BTW: Why is this service 32bit? Win10 here is 64bit

Reaction score
The 32bit probably needs an update. Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge?ocid=SMC-IA-4026494&r=1

I don't care to try the command line you have posted, but, if you open the easier path in "run" and type services.msc, you should see three services concerning edge. You can try disabling all three services.

My own choice would be merely to ignore edge and leave it on its defaults.

Just to add. Microsoft claim that it cannot be uninstalled. It can be disabled by one of the methods posted on the web, but a future update will reload it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If it's disabled then there's no need to uninstall it - it will never be started.

Reaction score
To add, many 'customizations' may be reversed to a default state at each Version Upgrade which have been twice-yearly but going forward has been announced as only once a year. Since Internet Explorer is going away in July [already gone in my 2-month-old Win11 Notebook] there remains Edge as the default things IE was used for.

Ask a Question