Unwanted keystroke actions -- hardware? Win 10 ? Other?

JWR

Reaction score
Seems to be a symptom in all applications (at least seen in MANY.) Made me lean towards some sort of keyboard issue. However I saw it in a previous keyboard I'm fairly sure... this is a persistent nuisance NOW for sure.
Keystrokes often do the following: ALL UNREQUESTED and UNWANTED
  • brings up an unwanted, unselected HTML editing window
  • brings up a Print selection side window in right of screen (seems the most common of the disease)
  • brings up recently saved phrases or selections of text and places them in a document
  • deletes text in a forum paragraph of text being entered (usually everything you just typed in but sometimes partial)
  • etc.
Any one know what this is or seen the disease? It is a major PITA.

Note: I have never seen it bring up some unwanted program. Always seems editing or printing related, never program selection.

Reaction score
What kind of computer? I see it happen with Notebooks and the thumb position over the Touch Pad can cause it. My wife keeps her Touch Pad turned off and uses a mouse instead.

JWR

Reaction score
What kind of computer? I see it happen with Notebooks and the thumb position over the Touch Pad can cause it. My wife keeps her Touch Pad turned off and uses a mouse instead.
The kind of computer should not matter -- it is one certified to work with pre-installed Windows 10. Happens to be an HP not that that matters. There is no touch screen or pad. I have usb-connected mouse and usb-connected HP keyboard supplied with the desktop machine new in 2022.

JWR

Reaction score
s .... So I typed for about 6 or 7 numbered item symptoms, looked up at the screen and this GD#$%^&*() BS single "s" was all that was there !!!! No way to get back all I had said in this post/reply I had labeled as Update: One of the bastard erroneous key hits occurred and I had lost everything.

I'm too pissed right now to try and remember/type in all that stuff again.

ANYONE SEEN SIMILAR PROBLEMS SYMPTOMS?

Last edited:

JWR

Reaction score
One more attempt to get to the bottom of this ugly mess:

For many months the lower left of the keyboard keys trigger ‘something’ I know very well I DID NOT SELECT & certainly did not intentionally trigger. I say ‘lower left’ which seems often but it may NOT be limited to that part of the keyboard. It has gotten worse over time and is now close to unbearable -- defeats the use of the PC !!! Just hit me again typing this ... I have tried all sorts of combos of fat finger double hits (Win key. alt, X, Z, Shift, A and S, etc) and cannot make it happen or even close.

That ‘something’ that gets triggered is USUALLY some weird “Research” window on the right side of the screen. More recently a formatting window seemingly related to Excel pops up when I am NOT IN Excel. The erroneous popup window varies a lot.
Many times (maybe even MOST times) you continue typing for a lot of words before you realize they (or one character anyway) went to some unwanted place and I have to manually back out of the stupid mess.
It happens in facebook, Word, an email client & probably any app. Just happened typing in here for example. ‘Troubleshooting’ for keyboard shows nothing.
What is going on here?

When I originally typed the above a complete copy of the last 7 line para graph was inserted by the disease...!!

Any ideas? If I were not so unflappable this is serious enough to toss the machine in the creek and get a new one...

JWR

Reaction score
The silence is deafening... Note that I had replaced the keyboard with a brand new one and this had no effect -- disease still there. Tried to reload the driver for the keyboard and system says the best one available is already there. I wiped it out anyway and then could not get in to the machine for lack of a keyboard (duh!) and had to pull the keyboard cable and reinsert which caused the pc to go find a driver that restored operation (still with the disease of course.) No end in sight. Essentially stuck.

Reaction score
Since the keyboard mentioned earlier is connected via USB cable [most OEMs shipped that type with their new computers], have different ports been tried? I've seen issues with printers, mice and keyboards not working properly in USB 3 ports but fine in USB 2 ports that shouldn't be the problem with that newer computer. Did the computer come with only a 1-year warranty or a longer one? Might have to replace the motherboard.

One other thing I'd do is boot a Linux LiveDVD or other bootable diagnostic to see if the same issue exists outside of Windows, helps narrow down problems as to whether with hardware or the software.

Ask a Question