Update 2004

Reaction score
As always with poorly tested updates from Microsoft, a lot depends on your hardware. For most, it is 100% stable, but there are numerous reports of smsll problems. Only way to find out if you are a victim, is to install it.
I sm having no problems on “oldish” Dell computers - four or five.

Reaction score
I have it installed on 4 machines. 10 year old, 8 years old, 3 year old and a new Acer. They all work fine with no oddities.

Reaction score
Just updated mine, hopefully it might rectify the starting on its own in the night that I have.

Reaction score
i have a dell i5 older machine. I downloaded the update feature to windows 10 pro version 2004 but it is stuck in Status: Getting things ready-0%. Have waited days for this to change. Re-booted etc. any ideas?

Reaction score
i have a dell i5 older machine. I downloaded the update feature to windows 10 pro version 2004 but it is stuck in Status: Getting things ready-0%. Have waited days for this to change. Re-booted etc. any ideas?
Imo. Possibly it may have continued after “getting things ready” As you have now rebooted, you may have stalled the installation procedure. In that case you may need to start the installation again from the start.

Reaction score
i agree.. i don't see the restart the installation as a possibility. Can someone help me find the restart on the installation?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Status: Getting things ready-0%. Have waited days for this to change. Re-booted etc. any ideas?
You may be stuck in limbo if that is the only screen that is presented after rebooting the computer and as you said you've "waited days"

Your only option at this point might be attempting to use some of the options in the Advanced Troubleshooting Screen
Startup Repair
System Restore
OR possibly
Go back to the previous build.

To get there you can attempt multiple forced shutdowns as soon as the computer attempts to go to Windows, right after the BIOS screen
Either by holding down the power button or interrupting the AC power (power switch on PSU, or simply pull the plug) whichever method works best for you.
After as many as three such actions, it will generally produce an automatic Startup Repair, which may fail but should produce a click option for Advanced Troubleshoot.

Failing that you will need to boot from the install media and after choosing your language and keyboard layout

Screen1.png

you should see this screen offered

RepairYourComputer.png

Which should provide an opportunity to Troubleshoot -> Advance Options

Troubleshoot.JPG

AdvancedOptions.JPG

Which then should produce this screen or something very similar

CommandPrompt.JPG

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
Is Windows update 2004 now stable?
Well yes and no. I updated on a older 10 year old laptop I3 not a SSD it took 4 1/2 hours to install. two weeks later became unstable had to good back and restore 1904. I had a issue with that restore said it did, but I had no browsers was give advice , seeing somethings were working to go to the app store for New edge after clicking on it ,page displayed had this is your new features clicked on edge short cut Edge ran.
I also installed on a year and a half laptop I7 that is a SSD it down loaded in 1 1/2 hours so far running fine. I would not try a forced up date wait till it comes to you. I would guess Microsoft watching seeing if your machine will run with current build mine that is running good is build 19041.329

Reaction score
Whether the update 2004 is stable or not depends largely on the hardware you use.
I have small problems with the update.
If I leave Chrome unattended for a long time it stops responding and turns black.
The only way to solve the problem is by shutting it down from the task manager and reopening it.
I am yet to find a solution to this problem.

Reaction score
I don’t use it, but doesn’t it have an option to do that on exit?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yes it does....but I prefer a one and done deal across all my browser and removes system junk files. I've been using it for over a decade now and never had an issue using it.

Ask a Question