Update fails after new install

Reaction score
I have an ASUS F555LD laptop (this has a built in DVD). Some months ago I decided to replace the hard drive with a 1TB SSD and at the same time to load a completely fresh version of Windows 10 (all data files being backed up and up to date copies of apps available The aim was t have a crystal clear install and registry.
But I had immense trouble downloading the Creation Tool. It just would not complete or operate. Eventually I used a desktop PC to create one that would work and, using that, installed Win 10.
It’s Version 1809 (OS build 17763.348.
And there’s the rub.
It will not update, no matter what I try (short of using the creation tool again?).
To add to my confusion, when I open ‘This PC’ I find, in addtion to the physical DVD RW drive, which appears as E, there’s a DVD Drive D Windows 10 UDF 3.38gbs in size.
What on earth is this and where did it come from?
It contains the following:
Bootmgr.efi
Setup
Bootmgr
Autorun
Sources folder
Support folder
Boot folder
Efi folder
The files show a date modified as 18/3/ 2017 (way before the new ssd was installed), the folders 19/08/2019.
Disk Management shows
Disc 0 with
Recovery 500mb OEM partition
100MB EFI system partition
930.91 GB Boot, Page file, Crash Dump, Primary partition
CD-ROM 0 DVD E (the physical DVD
CD-ROM 1 DVD 3.38 UDF Healthy (Primary Partiton)
Can anyone tell me what is going on here?
I particularly want to know whether there is any way in which I can force an update?
Secondly, is that UDF drive necessary?
To be frank, the install initially was a nightmare. I tried at one stage to burn an image but I don’t recall this being successful. To the best of my recollection, I eventually succeeded with a USB stick prepared on a desktop PC.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Question:

Did you burn your Windows download on your Desktop to a DVD to install Windows onto your laptop?

When you use the Microsoft Creation Tool you normally download an ISO file of the Windows OS you intend to install.

Some third party ( i.e. non-native Windows applications ) like NERO, VirtualCloneDrive, MagicISO etcetera allow you to extract an ISO and burn it to a DVD using the Universal Disk Format (UDF) instead of the ISO standard. It's been a long time since I needed to use a Windows DVD, but its likely they too adopt this UDF format.

The drive you are seeing listed as DVD Drive D might well be a mounted copy of that UDF file containing your Windows Download. The contents you listed are exactly what you'd see if you created a bootable USB pendrive for Windows.

Try right-clicking on the DVD Drive D and see whether you are offered the option to Eject. If you are, select eject to unmount the UDF, and then you will not see this listed in your File Explorer.

If it actually is a partition created on your SSD drive, then you do not need it, can if you choose to, could remove it. It's possible it was created as a mean to restore the OS, in the event the OS had a critical failure. To be honest, It looks a lot like you have created a Virtual Hard Drive ( i.e. in memory ) and mounted it. If that is what you've done, then via Disk Management you can right-click the VHD and select Detach to remove it.

I feel we need to first address all said above, before dealing with the secondary issue of being unable to update your OS.

So can you check what I've mentioned and report back on how you go.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Isn't that the Media creation tool. I seem to recall that is how it works. It mounts itself and then runs the setup. But, it does seem to be a very old Media creation tool which has been downloaded?? From where did you download, or try to download, it

Reaction score
MediaCreationTool =- one word. and a failure to update always gives you a error code> what is the error code?
you also can try this:
fix script
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
rmdir /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

net stop cryptsvc

md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /s

net start cryptsvc

pause
reboot and try to update again

Reaction score
1809 OS build 17763.348 is too old, its 39 OS updates and 1x version updates behind the latest v1909! No wonder it won't update. Also, you must have had a problem with your internet connection, the download of a bootable Win-10 on a computer as an ISO or a USB flash drive, depends entirely on your internet connection 'not your PC'. My suggestion is for you to try again and do another fresh install of Win-10, as the fresh install will install the latest or at least the v1903 (and all its OS updates) then use " Windows 10 November 2019 Update" > Update now as this tool, will update your Win-10 system version to the latest v1909 but and if you have other MS software? I would use "windows update' after all the Win-10 updates, to update all MS software. This is the easiest way to do a clean install and be up to date.

Go here > https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 then use link from > "Create Windows 10 installation media" click > " Download tool now " then download Win-10 to a USB pin drive, and let that run and configure things, then chose > Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC > USB flash drive (it needs to be at least 8GB) "don't use ISO file" > after downloading to the USB and it finishes, the USB drive will have Win-10 with a bootable USB to install Win-10. Make sure that the BIOS boot order is set to USB, reboot with USB drive and the Win-10 installation process will begin, that's it, easy!

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you DL and keep the iso, move it to adifferent partition you can use that ISO to update and you now have the ability to use the same iso to upgrade it to the next simply but DL the small KB files, that dism add package to the mounted iso
(DISM /image: <mount_directory> /Add-Package /Packagepath: <msu_file><cab_file>)
sample: DISM /image:E:\mount /Add-Package /Packagepath:E:\cab\windows8.1-kb2919442.msu or KB2919442.cab
many way to do all this faster and recommended for MS for those who want to do "Custom.iso"
you can make your own ISO to burn by using Rufus to burn. I have no idea why StevenG would recommend "don"t use the ISO File" when make the iso, save then copy to C:\user\download and extract and run is the fastest method to use... much faster then USB many times faster then DVD. For those with a slow internet - Download the ISO 1 time. save and then you can update by KB to the latest version, save and extract and upgrade while you are still waiting for the DL and burn to USB method.

Reaction score
The files show a date modified as 18/3/ 2017 (way before the new ssd was installed), the folders 19/08/2019.
Looks like to me you did not buy a NEW SSD, but a used SSD. but if it has such on it, i would recommend you do a "HDDLLF"
HardDrive Low Level Format....

Reaction score
If you DL and keep the iso, move it to adifferent partition you can use that ISO to update and you now have the ability to use the same iso to upgrade it to the next simply but DL the small KB files, that dism add package to the mounted iso
(DISM /image: <mount_directory> /Add-Package /Packagepath: <msu_file><cab_file>)
sample: DISM /image:E:\mount /Add-Package /Packagepath:E:\cab\windows8.1-kb2919442.msu or KB2919442.cab
many way to do all this faster and recommended for MS for those who want to do "Custom.iso"
you can make your own ISO to burn by using Rufus to burn. I have no idea why StevenG would recommend "don"t use the ISO File" when make the iso, save then copy to C:\user\download and extract and run is the fastest method to use... much faster then USB many times faster then DVD. For those with a slow internet - Download the ISO 1 time. save and then you can update by KB to the latest version, save and extract and upgrade while you are still waiting for the DL and burn to USB method.

Snuffy, your way is too complicated for a novice user, that is why I said ""don"t use the ISO File". That is why I advised the simplest bootable USB method. Yes I know your method but, can "jacercat" do it or does he know what you are talking about?

Reaction score
I have no idea if "jacercat" can or can not, (Novice or Not) but to me the fastest most simple way would be DL the ISO, (right click the iso and extract to the download folder and run. I never consider the "asker" to not know how to, I only consider that the "asker" Did not know of this method. same as I have found that most "askers" do not know of all things that MS offers - such as scripts on how to clean, and fix, or how to custom make, but i do get many many "Ok how do you do this. and then I give a very detailed how to do, same as many years ago I was told so i ask and simply wish to pass how to. He does have a Laptop, did know how to swap a HDD for a SSD. not a Novice to me. Custom ISOs are the best way to go.... and easy enough to remove some of the "Crap" MS things you need and many do not use or even want.

Reaction score
I have no idea if "jacercat" can or can not, (Novice or Not) but to me the fastest most simple way would be DL the ISO, (right click the iso and extract to the download folder and run. I never consider the "asker" to not know how to, I only consider that the "asker" Did not know of this method. same as I have found that most "askers" do not know of all things that MS offers - such as scripts on how to clean, and fix, or how to custom make, but i do get many many "Ok how do you do this. and then I give a very detailed how to do, same as many years ago I was told so i ask and simply wish to pass how to. He does have a Laptop, did know how to swap a HDD for a SSD. not a Novice to me. Custom ISOs are the best way to go.... and easy enough to remove some of the "Crap" MS things you need and many do not use or even want.

That's fair enough 'Snuffy' I do understand but, I presumed that "jacercat" was going around in circles and was confused, I just advised him on a simpler, Microsoft site download with a download and plug and play method. Yes I know the iso method and as you said "the fastest most simple way would be DL the ISO, (right click the iso and extract to the download folder and run)" but, you have to have the iso software as not every person understands and/or has the iso processing software or they know how to do this, that is what I'm saying, but you are 100% correct, cheers.

Reaction score
No, it is built into Windows - nothing else is needed.... if you have the ISO, both right click and left click the iso is built into windows...
Only if you want to BURN the iso to USB or DVD do you need the software... where as
I have an ASUS F555LD laptop (this has a built in DVD).
"@jacercat" does have the burn media software. Where as I do prefer "Rufus Free".

Reaction score
No, it is built into Windows - nothing else is needed.... if you have the ISO, both right click and left click the iso is built into windows...
Only if you want to BURN the iso to USB or DVD do you need the software... where as "@jacercat" does have the burn media software. Where as I do prefer "Rufus Free".
Yes I know that but, I rarely use it that way, as most don't reinstall it through windows. I repair many computers/laptops and/or reinstall new clean op's, very rarely need to do it that way. My personal windows 10 has very rarely crashed (I think once) and when it did I restored it with WinPE through Macrium Reflect backup, which I backup consistently and always up to date, that's another story, which everyone should do!

Reaction score
I’ve held back from replying until I tried to figure out what is going on with this particular laptop.

After I posted (which I did on my desktop PC which is used for 90% of my computing), I returned to troublesome ASUS laptop and discovered, in considerable disbelief, that the ‘strange’ partition had disappeared. Neither I nor anyone else had altered anything, certainly no attempt was made to unmount it or delete it since first coming across it, or indeed do anything about it since it was first noticed a week or so ago. The very reason for posting was to seek advice before doing anything about an issue that completely flummoxed me. I hadn’t had cause for looking at Device Manager or Admin Tools to examine the arrangement of the SSD and its partitions since first loading Win 10, build 1909, from a USB stick, prepared with the Creation Tool on another PC, back in March.

I have limited geek know-how – as has been gently acknowledged (thank you) - but I hate it when something happens for which there’s no, to me - logical explanation.

Now, in the absence of a simple solution being advised, I’ve adopted the “easy” way out, the one I’d decided to pursue and was hoping someone would suggest.

I’ve downloaded the latest version with the media creation tool onto a stick . Yes, the internet connection isn’t wonderful in this location and this model of ASUS is slated on some support forums for, amongst other deficiencies, constantly losing its internet connection. But this time the download (on the laptop itself) and install worked, at snail pace, but successfully, and I now have version 1909 installed. The SSD was a brand new btw and highly rated in reviews. I suspect this is not one of ASUS’s better boards – although it is a good general purpose piece of kit Interestingly, another ‘new’ partition has popped up, there now being ‘C’ and Disk 0 with partition 2 - EFI 100mb, and partition 5 – OEM 619mb. This is a new one. Partition 5? I only see 4 in the Disk Management panel. Why not 3 or 4 or whatever?

But hey, the latest version is functioning. Fingers crossed future updates will come my way without having to create a new OS from the beginning!

Reaction score
Question:

Did you burn your Windows download on your Desktop to a DVD to install Windows onto your laptop?

When you use the Microsoft Creation Tool you normally download an ISO file of the Windows OS you intend to install.

Some third party ( i.e. non-native Windows applications ) like NERO, VirtualCloneDrive, MagicISO etcetera allow you to extract an ISO and burn it to a DVD using the Universal Disk Format (UDF) instead of the ISO standard. It's been a long time since I needed to use a Windows DVD, but its likely they too adopt this UDF format.

The drive you are seeing listed as DVD Drive D might well be a mounted copy of that UDF file containing your Windows Download. The contents you listed are exactly what you'd see if you created a bootable USB pendrive for Windows.

Try right-clicking on the DVD Drive D and see whether you are offered the option to Eject. If you are, select eject to unmount the UDF, and then you will not see this listed in your File Explorer.

If it actually is a partition created on your SSD drive, then you do not need it, can if you choose to, could remove it. It's possible it was created as a mean to restore the OS, in the event the OS had a critical failure. To be honest, It looks a lot like you have created a Virtual Hard Drive ( i.e. in memory ) and mounted it. If that is what you've done, then via Disk Management you can right-click the VHD and select Detach to remove it.

I feel we need to first address all said above, before dealing with the secondary issue of being unable to update your OS.

So can you check what I've mentioned and report back on how you go.

Regards,

Regedit32
Hi,
Problem solved (see my last post below.
But no, I didn't burn it to a DVD - I used a USB stick instead and used a separate PC for the job (choosing the "for another PC"option.
There was no option to eject when right clicking that drive.
Nor did I use any third party apps like Nero etc at any time.
I know that this drive hasn't been present since the install in March. It was the sudden recent appearance, and equally sudden disappearance, that totally confused me.
I'd reached my level of competence in fitting a new ssd (and cleaning out the amazing quantity of filth from inside the AUS) and then installing a new version of the OS, free of all the bloatware that ASUS include) but I knew new drives don't suddenly appear from nowhere - that's scary!
As I've said, I've used the creation too as recommended by StephenG and now have the latest version up and running and, on the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' principle, won't visit the ASUS site to update or install anything ASUS specific unless a problem arises.
Thanks for the help.
J

Ask a Question