SOLVED Upgrade stops at 33%

Reaction score
Hello everyone~

Yesterday, I downloaded the Win 10 ISO ( via a link supplied by the forum) to try to upgrade to Win 10 Pro from Win 8.1 Pro.

The download went fine (verified by the media tool). The ISO burned fine (also verified with ImgBurn).

The problem:
The Upgrade stops at 33% and states (in a grey box) "Something has happened The Windows 10 upgrade was unsuccessful" .

What I have tried:
(tried the following 3 times)
Unplugging all peripherals. i.e: printer, external drive. (other than my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, and my monitors).
Stopped Avast entirely.
Disabled Windows Firewall.
Unplugged Ethernet line.
The only thing I DIDN'T do here was at the point where it asks if I wanted to do updates. Didn't feel it was necessary as I checked Windows updates and drivers prior to attempting the upgrade and all are as current as possible.(Non-beta drivers at least)

(Tried the following once, also being aware it probably wouldn't work but figured I'd give it a shot to be sure)
Tried booting direct to the DVD and attempted the upgrade that way. (Didn't work)

It seems I'm NOT the only one with this problem. A friend of mine in the UK and a others here in the states also attempted the upgrade with the same results. Only thing they didn't attempt to do was boot directly to the DVD/USB.

My system specs are listed in my profile. However, for ease of reference I'll list them here.

Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Pentium E5700 @ 3.00GHz
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5G41-M LE (LGA775)
Graphics
2367 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2367 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (XFX Pine Group)
Storage
232GB Seagate ST3250410AS ATA Device (SATA)
931GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0748 USB Device (USB (SATA))
Optical Drives
ASUS DVD-E616A3T ATA Device
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB ATA Device
Audio
SB Recon3D PCIe

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
~Lonewolf

Reaction score
Update(kind of)~

I noticed that I INDEED did have an update available for my NVidia card ..I proceeded to do that ..

I ALSO attempted to run (from DVD) the setup.exe as as an Admin..

Same issue happened .... Upgrade stopped at 33%.

Was kinda looking forward to at least trying out this new OS .. (have a Macrim Reflect backup saved, thanks to advice from here that i have read, in case I want to revert back) ...

Still not sure what the issue is .
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Further Update~

I actually did get to talk to a MS tech ( such as it was)

Their Response was ( not for verbatim but what I was able to get from them )

Was essentially, just wait for the WU to get to your system..

I DID ask if the WU to 10 is 100% guarantee to work . They said YES we guarantee the WU to Win 10 will work better than the ISO .. go figure ..

They give the ISO ( which I got per recommendation) to download but yet it's not working ??

What gives ?? (mind you I'm not terribly worried about it .. I figure I'll wait a month or so to do a FULL installation. .. but still wanted to see and experience something with the new OS( no I was not in the Preview aspect and not running in VM )

Sorry if it seem like I'm 'rambling' its been a long day ...

~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Reaction score
I was also stuck at 33% during the upgrade download, I checked my LAN data (connected via Ethernet) and noticed I had completely stopped receiving data until I opened my web browser. I simply unplugged my Ethernet cable and reconnected it again straight away and this caused the update to continue.

TL;DR - Unplug your Ethernet cable (or disconnect your wireless connection) and instantly reconnect it.

Ask a Question