Upgrade to Win 10

Reaction score
Trying to upgrade to Win 10 on my nieces system, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be upgrade. Her system is basically setup the same as mine. At one time I did enter a three or four KB statement to eliminate the Windows 10 pop-up, but I had done the same to mine.

Today, I entered a link that I had received from "trouble". When asked to upgrade I clicked yes. The next window that opened gave me two options."UPGRADE" AND "INSTALL NOW AND UPGRADE LATER". This time I chose " Install now and upgrade later". (I had previously chosen Upgrade now). The machine has been running well over 5 1/2 hours, but no indication that the installation has completed. (I don't recall my machine taking much longer than that to upgrade - this hasn't even completed the installation.

Any other options to try . other than thinking of purchasing a Windows 10 disc? (I'm letting this "install" run a little longer to see if it does complete.

Reaction score
I'd let it run for a while. Some have had it take many hours to finish. If it comes down to it, there's no reason to purchase a windows 10 disc. Download the media creation tool from microsoft and you can create a bootable dvd or flash drive.

Reaction score
Okay, will try again. I called her this AM and had her go into the notification area and check the "reserve Windows 10", or similar wording. So, we will wait and see if there if a further response. Thanks.

Reaction score
If you are upgrading to Win 10 I am not sure what might be meant by Install now and upgrade later.

Do you have the link to the statement in your reference? Maybe that could be undone in case that might help. If you wanted to try to download the update which sets up the system for Win 10 I think it is KB 3035583. I have to track that update and hide it about once a month.

Downloading the .iso and creating bootable media may work but you would need to start the upgrade from within the prior OS. Using the media creation tool should also work.

Make sure you have free space on the drive since archives will be created during the install.

Also, if you find some of your files are missing after you complete the upgrade, do not try moving them from another folder since some folks have lost all which they had moved. You might try copying but do not move.

Ask a Question