SOLVED Upside-down display

Reaction score
Once again, one of the kids working on one of our laptops turned the display upside-down. I know how to correct it (Control Panel--Display--Change Display Settings--Orientation--and then choose "Landscape") But I don't understand how they do it. They insist that they were not messing with Control Panel, and that it just suddenly happened.

Can anyone explain this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It might depend on the particular video card installed in the laptop.
Some GPUs support natively configuring hotkeys that allow changes to be made in screen orientation with a key combination

Reaction score
Trouble, how would I find and disable that hotkey?

Joe, I sometimes feel that your answer is the best one.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Trouble, how would I find and disable that hotkey?
Not sure.
Typically I would expect it to be located within the application responsible for controlling the video card.
I only have an nVidia display adapter in all three of my machines and nVidia doesn't have that feature (to use a hotkey combo).
Supposedly Intel adapters do or at least have had in the recent past so if right clicking a blank area of the desktop does not produce an option to open the Intel management application, you might check control panel and see if they added an applet there. IF you find one, it's suppose to be under the "advanced" tab.
No idea about AMD adapters, haven't had one of those since Windows 95.

Reaction score
Once again, one of the kids working on one of our laptops turned the display upside-down. I know how to correct it (Control Panel--Display--Change Display Settings--Orientation--and then choose "Landscape") But I don't understand how they do it. They insist that they were not messing with Control Panel, and that it just suddenly happened.

Can anyone explain this?

Vince Kids learn fast, they never ponder over "What If" like adults do. I'll ask my 12 year old Grandson he's a wiz at that kind of stuff. I'll keep you posted

Reaction score
Vince I have good news. My Grandson said they play this trick on their school teachers
all the time. He said Ctrl+Alt + ↓ ↑ arrow keys. I Tried it on my monitor it doesn't work, maybe it's a laptop thing?

Reaction score
I've tried several of these solutions, and it is possible in Windows 10 to right-click the desktop and then go into Resolution and correct it easily. HOW they do it remains a mystery.

Reaction score
Norton, you're a genius! And so is your grandson. Ctrl+Alt+the arrow keys does it.

Thank my grandson he's only 12 but a wiz at the operation of PC's. When I called him and explained the problem he started with the line "Just go into settings > display....I said the forum poster knows that, he just wants to know what the hot keys are, "Oh! that's easy just hit Ctrl+Alt+the up down arrow keys. LOL
What system did you try it on, Win 10 desktop or laptop? I couldn't simulate it on my desktop, didn't try my laptop Yet!.

Reaction score
Norton, I used it on the laptop that the kid had messed up yesterday. It down´t work on my desktop. The hot key is a function of the video card´s program and is not part of Windows 10.

Ask a Question