USB Com port not working

Reaction score
I have an embroidery machine that uses a USB to my com port 3. I have removed old drivers and reinstalled new ones. It worked perfectly fine with my windows 7. When I try to send design to machine it gives me the error-Unable to open com 3.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No experience with fancy embroidery machines but I do occasionally fireup a USB Fax Modem which seems to want to default to com4
You may have a look in device manager for any reference to the device and check the properties under the advanced tab -> advanced port settings button and the change default preferences button, you may have to dumb down the port to get it to work properly.

Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking for this. I went to device manager and found the device, port settings button and then advanced settings. After that I'm lost to the change default preferences button? It gave the option of restore defaults,

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it showing as a serial port?
Is the serial port showing as COM3?
Do you have any documentation for that particular machine as to how it expects the serial port to behave, something like .....

Baud Rate: 9600
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: None

Does the machine manufacturer or the interface manufacturer have a website or a support forum that you can contact for some specifics regarding the setup and installation of the machine?

Reaction score
Yes, it shows to be on port 3 through device mgr. as well as the machine setting on port 3. The items you have listed are exactly the same as above. The machine has a serial port which I have plugged in an adapter that converts it to a USB port( supplied by the machine). I have also installed the driver for the adapter. I have been reading about USB ports not working correctly with Windows 10 and wonder if that could be the problem?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have been reading about USB ports not working correctly with Windows 10 and wonder if that could be the problem?
It can..... yes.
Have you tried plugging anything else into the same USB Port to see if it is recognized??? An external USB driver or thumb drive.
When you plug and unplug it do you hear the Windows sound indicating that the respective action has taken place?

You may have to install some additional drivers like your main chipset driver for your motherboard in order for it to support any additional hardware architecture subsystems.

Reaction score
I have an embroidery machine that uses a USB to my com port 3. I have removed old drivers and reinstalled new ones. It worked perfectly fine with my windows 7. When I try to send design to machine it gives me the error-Unable to open com 3.

interesting. I had to try many usb to serial devices/drivers in the past to find a couple for win7 that worked.
Now is there any update on what is goood for win10 and usb-x ?
Anyone tried usb-c to serial adaptors with win10 ?

Ask a Question