SOLVED USB devices erratic behavior

Reaction score
Hi,

My computer runs Windows 10 Home version 1909. It is an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 3,79 GHz, 64GB RAM and I use it as an audio workstation (I am an audio engineer).

I was already having issues with my Kensington trackball: every once in a while it became unresponsive and I had to unplug the transmitter and plug it back in to regain control.

But recently I replaced one USB device (a midi keyboard) by another one, and things have gotten worse. I am losing the trackball more often, and also losing the keyboard at times, along with other USB devices related issues.

I have checked the Device Manager and nothing seems off, all the drivers in the USB controllers category are up to date.

Do you know what is causing these problems and how to solve them?

Reaction score
Don't know if it fits your problem but when I see USB issues with clients I assure they know to plug older/slightly older things into the USB 2 ports. Not always will USB 3 ports will work well with USB 2 devices even though they are supposed to be backward compatible, printers are one of the problems and even need USB 2 cabling [but most USB 3 cables have one plug different from USB 2, can't interchange]. Another thing, if using a USB Hub it usually is best if it is self-powered, not relying upon port power from the computer.

Reaction score
Hi,

do an upgrade first and then get back to us as an upgrade may well solve the problem for you?. ;)

How to upgrade Windows 10 to the latest version | Windows 10 Forums
I had no idea you could upgrade Windows manually, I though Windows Update was keeping my Windows up to date.

Well I did the upgrade from ver 1909 to 20H2, so far so good, I guess I'll have to let it run for a while before I can consider this solved.

Thanks!

Don't know if it fits your problem but when I see USB issues with clients I assure they know to plug older/slightly older things into the USB 2 ports. Not always will USB 3 ports will work well with USB 2 devices even though they are supposed to be backward compatible, printers are one of the problems and even need USB 2 cabling [but most USB 3 cables have one plug different from USB 2, can't interchange]. Another thing, if using a USB Hub it usually is best if it is self-powered, not relying upon port power from the computer.
I was aware of that and I have indeed used USB2 ports for USB2 devices. I don't have a printer or a USB hub connected to this computer. I do have one device for which the original cable was too short and I replaced it with a longer one, could this be a cause for that kind of issues?

Reaction score
Yes, not often seen but definitely could cause an issue. Usually 16 feet is considered maximum, there are longer cables but they have to be the Active kind. Quality can be an issue. Single cables are best, sometimes extensions can be a problem.

Ask a Question