USB doesn't recognize camera device

Reaction score
I have similar problem with Olympus Pen F camera under W10 Pro 64bit
W10 OS sees it as a storage device, not as a camera and then Olympus Viewer 3 does not work properly
Not the cable as it does work on a W8.1 machine.
2 months now since I bought the camera, which is brilliant, but no solution and zero positive help from Olympus UK support

Reaction score
The cable is proprietary to Olympus and does work when tested with a different computer
I haven't reinstalled the drivers, but have checked they are up to date
Thanks

Reaction score
Yes
I have tried Storage, as recommended by Olympus
but also MTP where the camera is recognised as a camera, not just a storage device

I am running out of options and seriously considering re-installing W10
though that is a daunting task.

Bif

Reaction score
Although this is from the Canon site, I found it to be very helpful and consice for myself being a Canon guy..but I'm certain the steps would be universal for your problem as well.. I'm only assuming that you have tried most of these already but perhaps something will work for you.
I think reinstalling Windows 10 again just because it doesn't recognize your camera is a tad extreme..
Best of luck!

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app...do-when-windows-10-does-not-detect-the-camera

Reaction score
Thanks for your input
I think I have seen it or similar suggestions

In fact W10 sees the camera as a Storage device, fair enough I pressed the Storage item on the camera screen,
but the Olympus SW fails to follow through and see it as a device as it should, only a usb storage.

If I use the MTP option on the camera screen, W10 sees the camera as a device, as I would expect it to
but still the Olympus SW does not play ball.

I know how it should work from tests on friend's computers, W8.1 and W10 32bit.

I will image and back up my PC hard disk and re-install W10 and see what happens.
If it works I will install all my apps again, not a task I relish.
If not I can easily go back with the image
Worth a try I guess, as I seem to have exhausted all other options

Reaction score
I have reinstalled Win 10 Pro and the problem has gone away.:)
but I am none the wiser as to why.

It was a pain to do, including all the apps I have loaded, but in the long run worth it

I don't think I have had to re-install Windows since the days of XP, maybe earlier
:(

Reaction score
To all the people who solved this issue by switching cables. Seriously? That is bullshit. I'm running the same hardware using the same cable that came with the camera. Are you telling me that by upgrading to Win 10 that the OS can't communicate with the device because of the cable? Worked fine in Win 7 no issues same hardware. I find it hard to believe that the issue is a different cord. I'm plugged into a usb 2 port on my mobo... I have usb 3 ports but i'm not using them (even tho it should work fine) because the hero 3 is not usb 3 certified. -_- seriously this is bullshit. Microsoft you need to patch this it's a driver issue. Any application that tries to access it hangs until I unplug the device. It's recognized it just doesn't know how to communicate with it. That screams driver to me
My camera (and cable) worked fine before I got my new Windows 10 PC - but whatever I tried I could not connect the two. I didn't believe that such a simple (if illogical) solution would fix my camera connection - but I had nothing to lose and switched cables. My PC immediately "saw" my camera and my photos are now transferred to it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I had nothing to lose and switched cables. My PC immediately "saw" my camera and my photos are now transferred to it.
Thanks for sharing your personal experience.
Much appreciated.
It's got to be a confusing and annoying issue and I'm glad that you found a solution to your problem.
While I can't begin to claim that I understand what might be happening in some of these instances.......
I did notice recently when shopping for a replacement (USB) adapter cable for my phone, that some such cables are designated as suitable for "charging" only and not suitable for "data" transfer.
I can only guess that perhaps that a cable that was perfectly useable under Windows 7, may have been on the cusp of usabillity for data transfers and may no longer be optimal for that task under Windows 10.
It may be missing a small component that Windows 10 wants or expects to see (wire, chip, shielding)..... I have no idea but it seems to be a contridiction of the whole "USB" IEEE standards which boasts compatibility (forward and backward)
http://odysseus.ieee.org/query.html

Reaction score
My camera (and cable) worked fine before I got my new Windows 10 PC - but whatever I tried I could not connect the two. I didn't believe that such a simple (if illogical) solution would fix my camera connection - but I had nothing to lose and switched cables. My PC immediately "saw" my camera and my photos are now transferred to it.

You do not say what brand of camera you are using?
In my case the camera is Olympus. and the USB cable has a proprietary connector at the camera end :(
So not just a case of popping down to the local shop for another.

Reaction score
sorry - my camera is an old Nikon D3100.
It means absolutely nothing to me but, if it means anything to anyone, the cable which works has the following lettering printed along it:
E189529 VEGA A WM STYLE 2725 VW-1 80°C 30V FT1 HT
Just the standard connector to the camera, I think it is called a 5 pin mini usb cable?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have the D3200 but honestly haven't tried actually connecting the Camera directly to the computer in a long time, preferring instead to simply pop out the SD card and stick it in my card reader.

Reaction score
yes, I did that on my old computer (for a different camera - Fuji) but this new new computer doesn't have the card slots - if it does they are well hidden!

Reaction score
My computer with Windows 10 no longer recognizes my Hero 3+ GoPro Camera, nor my Nikon D5100. I have looked for drivers, but to no avail. Any ideas for a work-a-round such that I can pull pictures/video off these devices and put on computer?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I just got a Win 10 upgrade and now my camera cord wont allow importing of photos even though it beeps like it is engaged. I use it on a machine with Win7 and it works perfect If I put the chip in the USB adapter, it works, but the whole Idea of the cord was so I don't have to keep opening up the cover and it is getting loose

I found another site that said to download DriveUpdate and I did that and it still would not work. They wanted me to pay a monthly fee for the driver. That sucks and Win10 sucks. it was loaded on my computer without my permission!!
Does anyone know where I can get a Nikon L5 driver?

Bif

Reaction score
Go into device manager and find USB Mass Storage Device, right click on it and select uninstall.
Reboot your system and the driver will be reinstalled, see if that solves the issue.. sometimes the drivers get buggered up with a cumulative update.
And an FYI NEVER use a site like DriverUpdate!..just an invitation for more problems..let MS download the driver for you.
I might also add, once rebooted go back into Device Manager to the same USB Mass Storage Device location.. right click on it and run Update Driver Software to see if anything newer is available.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
My computer with Windows 10 no longer recognizes my Hero 3+ GoPro Camera, nor my Nikon D5100. I have looked for drivers, but to no avail. Any ideas for a work-a-round such that I can pull pictures/video off these devices and put on computer?

Thanks!

Hi, I have had a same problem with my Canon cameras. My Canon Camera Window could not find my camera and Windows Explorer same. Worked fine before.
I have tried other USB sockets and different cables to make sure, and after Camera was recognized, figured out that the USB socket I was using for the camera cable is not working.
Took the case apart and looking at the printed circuit board I have seen that the socket was a bit crooked, looking closer revealed the connection was broken off the CB.
What happened:
I had pushed in the USB cable into the socket wrong way, and the white lug inside pushed against the lug in the socket and tore it from the CB.
Looking from the outside it did look OK.
Straightened it and repaired the connection and it does work again.
Could this be your problem too?
TonyH

Reaction score
I had this problem with a new Olympus camera a year ago
Olympus blamed Windows, and they were right.....
After a re-install of W10 all is well now

Good luck

Ask a Question