User problem

Reaction score
I am a one person user of my computer. I am listed as the administrator. I have tried to save a picture to the picture section and I'm told I don't have access to that section and have to apply to the administrator. It doesn't give me any help in figuring out how to apply to myself.
Why doesn't the new Win 10 automatically give me access to all sections of my computer?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This seems to be a very common complaint, which seems to impact Windows 10 Home version more so than perhaps the Pro version.
It has to do with the upgrade's impact on security permissions on the various User Folders in your user profile.
It can be a real pain to resolve but if you're willing to try.....

It is, probably going to require all three of the following steps to resolve it, but....
Feel free at any time to test at the end of any step and see if the problem is resolved

Step #1
Go here

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
Download "TakeOwnership.zip"
Extract it and double click "Install TakeOwnership.reg"
Answer any prompts (possibly two) in the affirmative.

Now go here
C:\Users\YourUserName\
Right click a problem container (directory / folder) let's start with "Documents"
Choose "Take Ownership" from the right click context menu
Answer the prompt in the affirmative
and give it a minute or two (depending on how much is there) to complete.
Now for the somewhat more difficult step
When it is complete (the DOS windows has disappeared....

Step #2
Right click the Documents folder again and choose properties.
From along the top choose the "Security" tab.
In the box titled "Group or user names:"
We want to explicitly grant your "User name" full control to that directory, sub folders and files, so......
Click the "edit" button just underneath that box.
In the resultant windows click the "add" button
Click the "Advanced" button
Click the "Find Now" button
In the "Search results" box at the bottom find and double click your User Name
Click OK

Now select your user name and examine your permissions in the box labeled "Permissions for Your User Name"
By default they will generally be only " Read & Execute, List folder contents and Read"
We need to change that by checking the box at the top of the left column under "Allow" "Full control"
AND click OK

Step #3
Unfortunately we are not completely finished.

Now click the advanced button again
Select your user name from the list
Click the "Disable inheritance" button
Select the "Convert" option from the prompt Window.
Now.....
Check the box at the bottom that says
"Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permissions entries from this object"
That will cascade all your changes down to sub folder and files.
Answer the prompt in the affirmative when asked if you are sure.
And may take a while also depending on the amount of data present.
Click OK
Again if any prompts are presented, answer in the affirmative. While OK'ing your way back out of any and all open windows or dialog boxes.

Now we're done and if you've been patient enough to follow all of the above correctly you should now be able to save to, and or edit, anything in your documents folder.

Reaction score
I think, that you may need only the first and second step, but stand correction??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may be right dave.
As I said early on in that post.
It is, probably going to require all three of the following steps to resolve it, but....
Feel free at any time to test at the end of any step and see if the problem is resolved
I added the third step to prevent the potential inheritance problem from reoccurring.
An access token is a funny thing and a reboot or a simple log on and log off may undo what you've previously done if the sub-folder is inheriting access permissions from a parent container that is contrary to your desired settings.

Reaction score
Will I have to do this same procedure for every section, eg, pictures, music, videos, etc as well as documents? Could I just sign in as administrator? (Actually this is what it looks like to me every time I sign in anyway. How can I tell if I'm signed in as administrator?)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Will I have to do this same procedure for every section, eg, pictures, music, videos, etc as well as documents?
That would be my recommendation, although I suppose you could do it at the parent container level but I don't generally recommend changing ownership of folders that are owned by "SYSTEM" although I suppose you could always change it back when things were done.
I've just never done it that way before.

Regarding who you are and what group you belong to.....
Admin Command Prompt and type
whoami
hit enter
then type
net user "Your User Name" (the results from whoami)
hit enter
Local group membership should show near the bottom of the results.

Reaction score
I think this is the answer I got: C:\windows\system32\net user "bill-pc\bill"
Then it goes on The syntax of this command is: {do you need that for analysis)

Reaction score
I'm afraid you have to tell dummies like me a little more info like: 1 where do I type it? and 2. why am I typing it? What will it do?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How can I tell if I'm signed in as administrator?)
I was simply trying to explain how you can determine who you are when signed in and what you group membership status is.

WhoAmI.JPG

lusrmgrShow.JPG

Ask a Question