SOLVED User Profile deletion question

Reaction score
Just purchased new laptop with Win 10. Still using old Win 7 laptop so no hurry setting up new one. Have little experience with Win 10 but for most part no big problems. However I have the following question.

On the first power up boot run it asked some basic setup stuff. One was to create my named profile which I did (MyProfile) with a password. However once the boot setup finished I opened a file manager and began to look around. I see several other user profiles.

The first three & the last one I recognize

All Users
MyProfile (that I created on setup)

A fourth profile named,
DefaultUser0

And the last one,
Public
-----------------------
I'd kinda like to delete the DefaultUser0 profile. I realize Windows creates the Default one and as I remember you shouldn't bother it, but is there any reason I can't delete the DefaultUser0 one ?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi R_W_B,

I'd recommend not attempting to delete the Default and Public user profiles.

Windows uses the Default User Profile as a template when setting up any profile on the System. You can customize this profile, but deleting it altogether would cause System error for your current profile and any new ones you create.

The Public User Profile is how different Users can share their files which normally cannot be accessed unless you can log into the User Profile storing the files. Again deleting this would in all likelihood cause instability for current and new User profiles created.

If you are interested in customizing the Default profile see here for information about what and how you can do this:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...the-default-user-profile-by-using-copyprofile

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi R_W_B,

I'd recommend not attempting to delete the Default and Public user profiles.

Windows uses the Default User Profile as a template when setting up any profile on the System. You can customize this profile, but deleting it altogether would cause System error for your current profile and any new ones you create.

The Public User Profile is how different Users can share their files which normally cannot be accessed unless you can log into the User Profile storing the files. Again deleting this would in all likelihood cause instability for current and new User profiles created.

If you are interested in customizing the Default profile see here for information about what and how you can do this:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...the-default-user-profile-by-using-copyprofile

Regards,

Regedit32

Uh ok, (?) I'm not quite sure if I made it clear which profile I want to delete. I will try again.

The first three & the last one I recognize

(1) All Users
(2) MyProfile (that I created on setup)
(3) Default

* A fourth profile named, *
(4) DefaultUser0 (<-can I delete this one?)

And the last one,
(Last) Public
-----------------------
I'd kinda like to delete the DefaultUser0 profile. I realize Windows creates the Default one and as I remember you shouldn't bother it, but is there any reason I can't delete the DefaultUser0 one ?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi again,

As said before I'd recommend leaving the Public folder alone as should you remove it you may run into issues later should you set up more than one User account on your computer.

Regarding the DefaultUser0 profile. That is actually a bug that popped up ages ago with the Anniversary Update. It seems to have a ghost profile, and for some users who have reset their systems its proven to me a rather annoying profile given upon completion of the Reset they found themselves at a login screen for DefaultUser0 without knowing what its password was; thus forcing them to do a clean install.

You can remove this account and unless you intend of assigning it a password, I'd recommend doing just that.

There is a process for this however to ensure deletion of this ghost profiles does not leave you with remnants of permissions for that profile which can cause a number of system errors over time.

Can you confirm for me whether you are using Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise? Or if its a Home edition.

I need to know that so as to provide suitable instructions on removing this profile.

In the meanwhile please do not just delete that folder. There is a specific set of things to do first, before deleting that folder!

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi again,

As said before I'd recommend leaving the Public folder alone as should you remove it you may run into issues later should you set up more than one User account on your computer.

Regarding the DefaultUser0 profile. That is actually a bug that popped up ages ago with the Anniversary Update. It seems to have a ghost profile, and for some users who have reset their systems its proven to me a rather annoying profile given upon completion of the Reset they found themselves at a login screen for DefaultUser0 without knowing what its password was; thus forcing them to do a clean install.

You can remove this account and unless you intend of assigning it a password, I'd recommend doing just that.

There is a process for this however to ensure deletion of this ghost profiles does not leave you with remnants of permissions for that profile which can cause a number of system errors over time.

Can you confirm for me whether you are using Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise? Or if its a Home edition.

I need to know that so as to provide suitable instructions on removing this profile.

In the meanwhile please do not just delete that folder. There is a specific set of things to do first, before deleting that folder!

Regards,

Regedit32

Hi, thank you for the reply. Yes I only want to delete (if possible) the DefaultUser0 profile, I'm ok with leaving all the others alone. I don't see DefaultUser0 listed in the User Accts (in the control panel) but I see that profile name folder looking with a file manager. To be clear the DefaultUser0 is a separate additional profile folder from the normal Default profile folder.

My OS is a 64bit Windows 10 Home version.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi again.

OK when booted in Normal mode:
  • Right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • Select the Boot tab then check box next to Safe Boot
  • Click Apply, then OK, then Restart

When computer Restarts you'll end up at the Safe Mode Login page:
  • Sign in
  • Right-click on Start and select Control Panel
  • When Viewing by Category click on User Accounts
  • The window will refresh and you can now click Remove user accounts
  • Select the DefaultUser0 account
  • Now click Delete the account
  • You'll be asked whether to keep Files for DefaultUser0. Select Delete Files
  • Next you'll be prompted to confirm deletion of account. Select Delete Account

The Delete Account button will highlight and the System will appear frozen. This is normal, just wait!

• You can now close the Control Panel window.
  • Next using File Explorer navigate to C:\Users. If the DefaultUser0 folder is still there, right-click and Delete then close File Explorer
  • Next right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog type regedit then click OK
  • Click Yes when the User Account Control prompt appears
  • In the left pane of Registry Editor expand the keys to this location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
— SOFTWARE
— Microsoft
— Windows NT
— CurrentVersion
ProfileList
  • Expand the ProfileList key then left-click any sub key that begins S-1-5-21 to allow you to view its content in the right pane.

In the right pane note the Data Value for the ProfileImagePath. One of these may point to C:\Users\DefaultUser0.

If you locate one that does point to that unwanted user, then in left pane Right-click on the S-1-5-21 key containing this unwanted ProfileImagePath and select Delete and if prompted Confirm deletion.

Close Registry Editor now.

• Right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • Select the Boot tab then remove check from the box next to Safe Boot
  • Click Apply, then OK,, then Restart

That is it. All done!

Theoretically, when you initially confirmed Delete Account having chosen not to keep files Windows ought to delete that DefaultUser0 folder from C:\Users, and also delete the S-1-5-21 sub key that points to a ProfileImagePath with a Data Value which points to C:\Users\DefaultUser0.

Having said that the reason I gave some extra finger exercise is because of the fact this is a known bug that appears for some users, so better to play it safe and manually verify these are deleted.

If for any reason the DefaultUser0 account did not appear when you opened User ACcounts via Control panel in Safe Mode, then in lieu of that, you can:
  • Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Click Yes when User Account Control prompt appears
  • Then in the console simply type the following two commands:

net user then press Enter key to display list of User accounts. Make note of precisely how DefaultUser0 is in this list as the account name is case sensitive and must be typed as it appears in the second command.

For example: net user DefaultUser0 /delete then press Enter key

If prompted agree to deletion by typing Y and pressing Enter key

If you had to delete it this way, then you will more likely need to make changes in the Users folder and Registry as all ready given earlier.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks Regedit32 for the detailed instructions. I've been so busy with my income taxes I just now got a chance to try your instructions. I followed every step you gave going in but I've run into a block.

Inside the User Accts->Manage Another Acct, there is no DefualtUser0 account showing?

So I wanted to check back with you before I try anything. But I'm guessing the DefualtUser0 account is not showing because it may have already been deleted in the Users but not in the Registry & files (?).

Anyhow what is your advice to do next ?
Sincerely RWB

Regedit32

Reaction score
It may have taken on a Hidden attribute, so when in the Users folder make sure you are viewing hidden items in this folder. If it is not present there then yes, there could still be remnants in the Registry.

Reaction score
It may have taken on a Hidden attribute, so when in the Users folder make sure you are viewing hidden items in this folder. If it is not present there then yes, there could still be remnants in the Registry.

I do have my hidden files showing and I can see the DefualtUser0 account in the Users folder. I haven't checked the registry yet. So then I surmise it's ok to proceed with the other instructions and then check the net user at the end.

Reaction score
yes that is fine

Thanks. Ok I deleted all the DefaultUser0 files and the aforesaid sub-registry key, rebooted and no problems. I ran net user and DefaultUser0 is gone, everything is good. However now I have two more questions.

(1) In the net user display I notice on MyProfile something I don't understand. That acct is an administrator privilege password login.
But in net user it shows (for MyProfile)
Password last set 3/22/2017
Password expires Never
Password required No <-? Why does it say not required?

(2) I'm not looking to hold you responsible on this but would appreciate your casual input (Yes, No, Maybe, Not sure, whatever) on the following.
I searched the entire registry for DefaultUser0 and found it also listed in an old Wireless registry folder. I call it old since I changed my Computer Name and there is a wireless folder for both the new Computer Name and the old Computer Name.
I'm thinking to do a restore point and then delete the old Computer Name folder (inside the aforesaid wireless folder) and with it that old DefaultUser0 reference also.
Your input ?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

While set on 3/22/2017 [most likely during a Cumulate Update - set by SYSYTM], the built in Administrator account does not require a password unless you have manually set one yourself. The default password, if you have not set one, is simply to type nothing and press Enter key. I'm assuming you have not set your own password for this profile, thus no password is required for now.

So far as the old wireless profile goes, it will be benign given its no longer in use. I'd leave it alone as its not doing any harm. If you do a System Restore so as to remove the DefaultUser0 from that, you will more than likely also need to remove it again from the current set up.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

(1) While set on 3/22/2017 [most likely during a Cumulate Update - set by SYSYTM], the built in Administrator account does not require a password unless you have manually set one yourself. The default password, if you have not set one, is simply to type nothing and press Enter key. I'm assuming you have not set your own password for this profile, thus no password is required for now.

(2) So far as the old wireless profile goes, it will be benign given its no longer in use. I'd leave it alone as its not doing any harm. If you do a System Restore so as to remove the DefaultUser0 from that, you will more than likely also need to remove it again from the current set up.

Regards,

Regedit32

Thanks for the help but don't quite understand your reply on these.
On (1) t's not the built in Adminstrator acct, rather it's my own created acct named MyProfile which is an administrator privilege acct and I did set a password login on it.
Password last set 3/22/2017
Password expires Never
Password required No <-? Why does it say not required? or what exactly does this mean ?

And on (2) I don't plan on doing a restore unless something went wrong after deleting the Reg Key entries. I was only doing a restore point for safety sake. But in any case I understand what your summation on (2) it's just (1) that I'm still a bit confused.
Sincerely RWB

Regedit32

Reaction score
You are correct. The Password required field ought to say Yes.

This is a known bug in Windows, which Microsoft have speculated may be triggered when you create a User profile with no password, then later decide to use a password - at this point the password works fine and you must use it to log in, however the Password required flag does not alter its state from No to Yes.

This does not happen for everyone though, and to my knowledge Microsoft whilst aware of this have not got round to resolving it; I imagine its not a high priority given the bug does not affect the security of the User Profile; it simply provides incorrect data on that one flag.

Reaction score
You are correct. The Password required field ought to say Yes.

This is a known bug in Windows, which Microsoft have speculated may be triggered when you create a User profile with no password, then later decide to use a password - at this point the password works fine and you must use it to log in, however the Password required flag does not alter its state from No to Yes.

This does not happen for everyone though, and to my knowledge Microsoft whilst aware of this have not got round to resolving it; I imagine its not a high priority given the bug does not affect the security of the User Profile; it simply provides incorrect data on that one flag.

Thanks Regedit32, you have been a great help in detailed logistical instructions and clearing up curious ambiguities. I have no other issues on this thread.

Ask a Question