Using an old hard drive

Reaction score
There may be many users that a well aware of this but for those that do not know, here goes.
I had a computer that was destroyed accidentally. (It was dropped.) (Not by me).
I decided to remove some of the ,"savable" parts, one of which was the hard drive. I kept this thing in a drawer for over a year, but found out there are adapter units for sale that connect the hard drive to the computer via a USB cable. I searched e-Bay, found one for about $35.00 bought it and I now have a .5 TB hard drive, on which I keep my back-ups.
That is a lot less expensive than an external hard drive.
Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
I have a set myself, very useful for virus scanning on other drives attached via USB to my PC's. :)

Reaction score
I was trying to install W10 onto a drive using the USB adapter cable but W10 won't allow it?. :(

Reaction score
Wolfie I'm no expert. But, it may have to detect an OS or Windows license code on the drive, or you maybe you have to unplug your current HD sata connector first?

Reaction score
Hi Norton,

I did unplug (removed completely) the drive that was on the laptop I was using, the HDD is an old IDE 80GB which I wanted to use on an old PC I picked up from the dumpster so to speak (I work on old PC's as a hobby and donate them). I think it is a Windows security measure but cannot be sure?. :confused:

I formatted the drive to NTFS before starting my little adventure!. :)

Ask a Question