W10-Version 1909; Error code 0x8024402c

Reaction score
I received this error code while on MS Edge browsing a news/sports network. Earlier in the day i did receive the following MS updates:
Cumulative Update W10 based x64;​
Windows Defender Antimalware platform and​
Security Intelligence for WD AntiVirus.​
While browsing a red screen w/audio indicating that my network has been compromised with Malware and that my Microsoft Essential security has been compromised--I do not have MSS Essential but the most recent up to date W10 Defender. But i should call Windows Security at 1.888.678.4161. So I *67 and called and the gentleman indicated that this code indicates a Firewall Network Malware compromise and of course, pay a fee to connect remotely and remove this malware. This error code on the MS website is related to MSSEssentials.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep....
That's just another scam.
You'll sometimes run across those redirects from some sketchy websites or even sometimes from perfectly innocent sites that are not maintained properly to protect visitors from those types of exploits.

The best thing you can do is launch task manager and right click the browser instance and end task from the context menu.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble, that is precisely what I did via the task manager. I wonder if these types of incursions are random or actually targeted. But thanks again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wonder if these types of incursions are random or actually targeted
Pretty sure they're random.
At least in the sense of how you or I might come upon one.
BUT
Targeted in that they aim to exploit web sites that are poorly coded where they can insert their bit of code to redirect you to their scam page.

Reaction score
This has been happening Germany wide, I had a friend who actually phoned them, they ended up going to the police and reporting the scam,it was even on the news here!. :)

The other scam is cold calling people pretending they work for Microscrap and convincing people to install certain software so they gain control of the computer via "Remote Access" which I always deactivate anyway!. :)

Ask a Question