SOLVED W8 Boot startup.

Reaction score
Any ideas how to get W10 pro to use/make available , the older W8 advanced startup key on keyboard.

I had a program that I used prior to C drive total crash recently that did it for me.
Buggered if I can remembered what it was called.

Cheers.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the older W8 advanced startup key on keyboard.
Not exactly sure what we're talking about here but...
Might this have something to do with your query

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wasn't even sure that, that's what you had in mind.
I'm not surprised that it doesn't work, there's been a lot of changes since that was written.

Just for the heck of it...
AND still not knowing if we are even talking about the same thing... try this from an admin command prompt
bcdedit /set “{current}” bootmenupolicy legacy

That or perhaps both of them combined got the F8 key working again on my system.
You have to be very fast on startup, practically holding F8 when you power on.
With fast startup enabled you really don't have much time to react.

Reaction score
Nob whisperer, tried your suggestion, however, still not working. yes, you have been on the right path all the time. probably my termanology.
Big Feet, just tried your suggestion and will let you know the outcome when i restart the Computer. thanks to you both for your help. Appreciated.

Reaction score
Make sure you keep tapping F8 from the second the PC is turned on or rebooted. I have to tap it really fast to get to the safe mode screen because my PC boots so fast.

Reaction score
BigFeet, restarted computer and kept tapping f8 as suggested, no joy just started as normal.
Never had this problem in the past, it must once again be Micros--- interference via one of their rogue updates. Children playing games.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Micros--- interference via one of their rogue updates.
So I tested it on my relatively new build hosting Windows 11
Annoyingly ASUS has seen fit to incorporate the F8 key into its' firmware as a means to launch the Boot Menu.
However, after making the proper selection, while continuing to tap the F8 key it seems to still work, even on Windows 11.

F8.jpg

Reaction score
Still not working for myself. I must say I am stumped. have not got a clue.:(
:(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well....
As mentioned above.
You have to be quick on the F8 key, I personally recommend beginning before you hit the power button
AND
You have to be rapid on the F8 key no pause or interruption in your tapping. Quick, Fast like a very skilled Morse Code operator.

Reaction score
My friend, tell me, is there anything whatsoever that Microsh-- will not do to get it's own way?
Monopolies throuhout time have only worked fot the Monopoly, never their clients.
I haveNEVER had to go through this crap ever before, what therefore,I ask, are these clowns up to?
licence up in approx 4 years after 25/30 years on a computer, roll on. cannot wait!!

Reaction score
So I tested it on my relatively new build hosting Windows 11
Annoyingly ASUS has seen fit to incorporate the F8 key into its' firmware as a means to launch the Boot Menu.
However, after making the proper selection, while continuing to tap the F8 key it seems to still work, even on Windows 11.

View attachment 13938
I tried this on my WIndows 10 system. I hit the same ASUS F8 boot menu issue but then I too see the legacy advanced boot options as above.

Reaction score
Gentlmen, and you all are.
I found the problem, I believe. using either Winearo Tweaker or ultimate Windows tweaker, I found Wndows 7 boot was installed.
Consequently, any codes entered via Command prompt (admin) were being nullified. I removed aforementioned use Win 7 boot command and now upon startup have a blue advanced boot screen using W8 key.

Many,many thanks to all for your help and suggestions, out of these the solution was arrived at.
Said it before and again repeat it; "This program,Windows 10 forum, should be a mandatory installation for anyone using a computer".
Thank you all.

Ask a Question