walmart.com search option will not work

Reaction score
I can go to walmart.com, login to my account, access any feature of my account, access my cart and I know that I can checkout because I had some items in the cart when my problem started and I checked out and placed my order for those items.

If I go to the search bar and type in a product that I want to shop for it will take me to an error page (attached). If I go to the section called "Departments" and try to get to an area I want to shop in through that method I get the same error page. Even though I get this Walmart error page, Walmart swears there is nothing wrong with their site and they are not having any problems with it. This has been going on for two weeks now, and counting.

This happens on two different computers, a Dell desktop and Toshiba laptop. It happens on both Chrome and Firefox browsers. Both of these computers have the same programs on them.

An oddity: On Firefox only, when I first open it I can go to www.walmart.com, type something into the search bar on the site and it will take me right to the page. Then I try to type another item into the search box and I get the error page. The search works just one time, on Firefox only, after first opening the browser. I shut down all my extensions and this did not make a difference so it's not extensions.

There is another oddity. If I know exactly the item I want, I can Google it and if it brings up a link showing it's at Walmart, I can click on that link and it will take me to the correct page at walmart.com. But if I try to type that item into the search box on walmart.com I get the error page.

I have contacted Emsisoft and MBAM about this and they have both had me do certain things and report back to them, and both have determined that their programs are not the culprit. I also tried actually shutting down Emsisoft and still got the same error page.

I have done an extensive amount of shopping in the past two weeks and have been on MANY shopping sites and not a problem with anything but walmart.com.

Is there any possibility that it could be the Windows firewall? I use Windows firewall in its default state; never monkey with it at all. Or could it be some Windows update that's been installed?

It's almost got to be some common denominator since it's doing the same thing across two computers and two browsers on both of those computers.

Attachments

• Walmart Sorry.PNG
    Walmart Sorry.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In the interest of perhaps furthering the dianosis try both of the native Windows 10 browsers and see if they have the same issue that you describe for Firefox and Chrome.
Start Button -> Windows Accessories -> Internet Explorer
AND
Start Button ->: Microsoft Edge

Reaction score
Both Edge and IE give me the very same thing. However, I received an answer from Walmart to an email I sent them yesterday and it sounds to me like they are changing their tune from telling me there is no problem on their end to telling me they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Can I put you on hold for the moment and see if they come up with anything?

Reaction score
I'm back to this now. Walmart emailed me today and decided it isn't their fault after all. They can't reproduce it. I contacted my ISP today and they can't figure it out.

I'm on my laptop tonight and I went to www,walmart.com, typed an item into the search field and it took me to the page. Then I waited a bit and typed another item into the search field and this time got the "Sorry" page. It will let me search just one time and then we're back to Sorry.

I still find it strange that if it is not the Walmart site, why does their site generate the Sorry page?

I don't know what else to do. I've tried incognito and tried the other browsers that you asked me to and nothing works. Yet there has got to be something wrong and whatever it is affects both computers, the 4 browsers I've tried.

I forgot to mention something. When I start to type something into the search field in the Walmart site a menu will drop down giving me a bunch of options. So when I typed "Revlon" it gave me a number of options and I selected "Revlon eyebrow pencil," but it did not fill in the rest (eyebrow pencil) like it's supposed to. It works insofar as giving you various options, but when you select one it does not complete filling it in.

Do you have any more suggestions for me?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried the search utility at other online retail sites
Menards.com
Lowes.com
Walgreens.com
Amazon.com

Same problem with any or all of them??

Reaction score
Yes, I have been on all of those sites in the past few weeks since this has been going on, plus Kohl's, elf cosmetics, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, Sephora, JCPenney, jet.com (is that an affiliate of Walmart's?), ebay. I'm sure there are more I can't remember because I've been doing a lot of shopping for many different things and have been doing price comparisons. I haven't had a bit of trouble with any site I've been to, except Walmart.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... well I think that pretty much speaks for itself, but.....
Try something for me.
Focus on just Internet Explorer
Open walmart.com
Tap the Alt key on your keyboard to bring up the IE menu / tool bar
Select Tools -> Compatibility View Settings
walmart.com should already be in the box so just click the "Add" button
OK your way back out of there.
Close and open Internet Explorer and test.

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with you. You went to a link and they have a message there that displays when there is an error. The programmer put that in there.

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with you. You went to a link and they have a message there that displays when there is an error. The programmer put that in there.

That's what made sense in my mind but then I've got Walmart who first tells me their site is fine and then it isn't and then it is and now it isn't again. I just got another email from them today. I'm going to attach it to my answer to "Trouble."
And BTW, thanks for taking time to respond.

Reaction score
OK.... well I think that pretty much speaks for itself, but.....
Try something for me.
Focus on just Internet Explorer
Open walmart.com
Tap the Alt key on your keyboard to bring up the IE menu / tool bar
Select Tools -> Compatibility View Settings
walmart.com should already be in the box so just click the "Add" button
OK your way back out of there.
Close and open Internet Explorer and test.

I tried what you instructed above and it didn't make a difference.

I got another email from Walmart today and they are once AGAIN taking responsibility for this bug. This is what she wrote:
I'm deeply sorry to hear you've faced so many troubles using our site. I can fully understand your frustration at this point, Cynthia. Please accept my apologies for the contradicting and inaccurate information you received before. I'll gladly inform you about the ongoing problem, and how we plan to fix it.
I've confirmed with my supervisor there is a bug in our site. Tomorrow, Mar 15, we'll be running update on our website. These update are meant to fix the problem, so you'll be able to search for items using our searching engine instead of Googling items.
Sincerely,
Cecile D.
Walmart.com Customer Care

This would be good news except that today is the 15th, when they were supposedly going to run an update and fix their bug. It didn't work on my machine and I have written back to tell them that.

Customer email (03/14/2017 11:33 PM)

Reaction score
That's what made sense in my mind but then I've got Walmart who first tells me their site is fine and then it isn't and then it is and now it isn't again. I just got another email from them today. I'm going to attach it to my answer to "Trouble."
And BTW, thanks for taking time to respond.

Well their site is fine except for the search which was broke. So not everyone experienced the error.

Ask a Question