SOLVED WD Discovery - Is it a genuine app? It just turned up in my Apps !!

Reaction score
I have just discovered a new App on my Windows 11 PC. It is called WD Discovery. I also found it in Program File (x86) > Western Digital > Discovery > Current. I noticed it first in my Task Manager in Start Up. So I disabled it. I have looked up the internet to find out more about it, but I can't find any positive advice. Is it a virus, or is it a genuine Windows App. If it is a Windows app, what does it do? Can you please help. Cheers ..

Reaction score
The process known as WD Discovery belongs to software WD Discovery by Western Digital Corporatio or Western Digital (www.wdc.com).

Description: WD Discovery.exe is not essential for the Windows OS and causes relatively few problems. The WD Discovery.exe file is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files (x86)" (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\Discovery\Current\). The file size on Windows 10/8/7/XP is 13,179,660 bytes.
https://www.file.net/process/wd%20discovery.exe.html

The file is not a Windows system file. The file has a digital signature. The program has no visible window. The process is loaded during the Windows boot process (see Registry key: MACHINE\Run). WD Discovery.exe is able to manipulate other programs, record keyboard and mouse inputs and monitor applications. Therefore the technical security rating is 42% dangerous.

Uninstalling this variant: You can uninstall the program WD Discovery, update it, or ask Customer Support for help. Go to support.wdc.com to update it, go to support.wdc.com for support, or go to WD Discovery in Windows Control Panel (Software or Programs section) to uninstall it.
There is a bit of caution.
Important: Some malware camouflages itself as WD Discovery.exe, particularly when located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder. Therefore, you should check the WD Discovery.exe process on your PC to see if it is a threat. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. This was one of the Top Download Picks of The Washington Post and PC World.

Ask a Question