WDF Violation

Reaction score
I upgraded to windows 10 about 6 weeks ago from Windows 7, everything was working fine. Computer was turned on one day and I was presented with the blue screen with the WDF error. PC is now stuck in a loop and I can't do anything, have created a recovery CD from my laptop however this does not work, if I choose start up repair it says it can't repair, if I choose the command prompt option and follow various commands online this does not work. I have tried resetting my pc this does not work as my drive with the OS on is locked, tried going through commands to unlock and I am unable to do so. I am stuck with a computer that I can't do anything with at all, anyone have any suggestions at all please?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried using the Startup Settings ICON to boot your computer into Safe Mode?
A WDF_Violation is generally an indicator that a driver was installed that is producing some issues. Maybe a Safe Mode boot will get you over the hump

CommandPrompt.JPG

Additionally you might want to disconnect any and all peripherals, especially any USB Dongles that support wireless devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Network, etc.,)

Reaction score
Have you tried using the Startup Settings ICON to boot your computer into Safe Mode?
A WDF_Violation is generally an indicator that a driver was installed that is producing some issues. Maybe a Safe Mode boot will get you over the hump

View attachment 1563

Additionally you might want to disconnect any and all peripherals, especially any USB Dongles that support wireless devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Network, etc.,)

Hi, I don't have the start up option in advanced settings, don't know why? However I found a way to boot into safe mode via the cmd prompt by taking it back to legacy mode. This made no difference and even after choosing safe mode it just goes straight back to the blue screen with the error then starts boot looping. Only things I have plugged in are mouse and keyboard.

Really am clueless as to where to go from here I've tried endless commands found online, can't restore from my repair disk as my drive is locked and I can't unlock it. Beginning to think this is it and my computer is officially dead!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Doesn't sound too good.
Just for the heck of it, check in your System Setup Utility (BIOS) and see how your disk controller is currently set.
You should have some options that may impact your problem, try changing it from its' current setting (whatever that might be) to an alternative (every BIOS is different).....
Try SATA or SATA / IDE or NATIVE IDE depending on the wording.
Just make a note of its' current setting, at this point you can't make it worse and you can always change it back. It might be worth the experiment.

Reaction score
Doesn't sound too good.
Just for the heck of it, check in your System Setup Utility (BIOS) and see how your disk controller is currently set.
You should have some options that may impact your problem, try changing it from its' current setting (whatever that might be) to an alternative (every BIOS is different).....
Try SATA or SATA / IDE or NATIVE IDE depending on the wording.
Just make a note of its' current setting, at this point you can't make it worse and you can always change it back. It might be worth the experiment.

That was my thoughts too! Ok I will try this later and report back. If this doesn't work is it pretty safe to say it's done? If so I'll get everything off my hard drive (if possible) and invest in a new machine! Oh the joys of Windows 10!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If this doesn't work is it pretty safe to say it's done?
It's probably not "done", it's more likely, that for some reason a drive controller driver resulted in some corruption. The drive is locked error you are getting is typically (not always but...) associated with Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and or the Intel Management Engine Driver
You can likely remove it and attach it to another machine and copy any critical data from it that you might need and then......
Perform a clean install on it.
I'd probably at least run the native Check Disk utility against it just to see if it discovered any bytes in bad sectors.

Reaction score
I have the same problem, created the start up disk, but I do not have the start up settings option icon appear on my list of actions. When I upgraded 4 weeks ago, apparently Windows created no restore point, ever, and over wrote all my windows 7 files, including my restore points. I have no access to my files on this computer. Help, please.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Penny and welcome to the forum.
Do you have the Command Prompt option when you boot from
created the start up disk
IF so click that and in the command prompt window type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
hit enter
type exit
hit enter
reboot your machine keep tapping the F8 key (no shift key required) and it should work for you as it has in the past.
Choose Safe Mode with Networking and see if it will boot.

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. The command prompt it pulls up is x:\windows\system32> I can not get it to go to c:\. Do I type a space between policy and legacy if I can ever get a command prompt. Thank you so much again, even if it's a no-go at least you have gave me something to try. Lastly if I can get to a C:\ prompt should the line read
C:\bcbedit/set{default}bootmenupolicy legacy

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good thinking, but....
for that command, it should work right from X:|
you type it exactly as I've typed it
it is obvious where the spaces go, when you compare how mine appears to how yours' appears
there is a space after bcdedit
there is a space after /set
there is a space after {default}
there is a space after bootmenupolicy

Reaction score
Hello Penny and welcome to the forum.
Do you have the Command Prompt option when you boot from

IF so click that and in the command prompt window type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
hit enter
type exit
hit enter
reboot your machine keep tapping the F8 key (no shift key required) and it should work for you as it has in the past.
Choose Safe Mode with Networking and see if it will boot.

New
Thank you for your help. The command prompt it pulls up is x:\windows\system32> I can not get it to go to c:\. Do I type a space between policy and legacy if I can ever get a command prompt. Thank you so much again, even if it's a no-go at least you have gave me something to try. Lastly if I can get to a C:\ prompt should the line read
C:\bcbedit/set{default}bootmenupolicy legacy

Reaction score
Good thinking, but....
for that command, it should work right from X:|
you type it exactly as I've typed it
it is obvious where the spaces go, when you compare how mine appears to how yours' appears
there is a space after bcdedit
there is a space after /set
there is a space after {default}
there is a space after bootmenupolicy
Thank you, having to use my iPad and having some distortion, I will give it a try. Thank you again.

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, was not able to recover Windows 10 but you got me to a command prompt that allowed me to back up my files on DVD and reinstall Windows 7. I now have all my files and am back to an OS I really liked. You really help people, just want you to know it's appreciated. Have a great day

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thank you Penny.
Glad to hear that you managed to find a solution that at least allowed you to secure your critical data.
Just sorry to hear that the solution was not a bit more robust.
Thanks for the follow up and the very kind words.
Much appreciated.
Randy

Ask a Question