Black screen after sign in and WDF violation loop

Reaction score
Just installed Windows 10 from Windows 7. Get a black screen without cursor after sign in. When boot up in safe mode, I get a WDF violation and automatic restart whenever I attempt to go to a recovery point or any other option. This creates an loop that I can't break. I am able to access my web browser (chrome) and Excel by pressing control/alt/delete and using the new file feature on the Task Manager.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just installed Windows 10 from Windows 7
Do you have a backup or all your critical data? Do you have a disk image prior to the upgrade?
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Do you have any peripherals connected? Any and all USB devices, especially any Bluetooth / wireless devices supporting keyboards, mice or network adapters?
If so remove them.
Do you have any third party security suites installed?
If so uninstall them. You should be able to launch control panel by simply typing it into Run new task in Task Manager. See if you can go that route to remove any thing like Norton, McAfee, AVG, etc., etc.

Ask a Question