Web site shortcut icons became tiny

Reaction score
the desktop icons for web sites became tiny. Why and how to fix them. Here is more detail: I transferred the desktop from an old windows10 computer to a new one. The desktop appeared, but most, not all. of the web page shortcut icons became plain generic white background with a tiny image of the proper site icon in the middle. I would like to regain the regular size icons, but have not found a way. There are dozens of ways to substitute a new icon from various image sources, but that is not the problem. I tried re-obtaining the site icon by dragging from the URL padlock image, but got the same tiny image. The white generic shortcut is the usual size, but the image is just a tiny thing in its center. What is going on, and how do I fix it?

Last edited:

JWR

Reaction score
the desktop icons for web sites became tiny. Why and how to fix them. Here is more detail: I transferred the desktop from an old windows10 computer to a new one. The desktop appeared, but most, not all. of the web page shortcut icons became plain generic white background with a tiny image of the proper site icon in the middle. I would like to regain the regular size icons, but have not found a way. There are dozens of ways to substitute a new icon from various image sources, but that is not the problem. I tried re-obtaining the site icon by dragging from the URL padlock image, but got the same tiny image. The white generic shortcut is the usual size, but the image is just a tiny thing in its center. What is going on, and how do I fix it?
Sorry I have no insight into the problem you describe. HOWEVER, I suddenly have every icon on the desktop with a green circle on it (about 10% or less of the area of the whole icon) and each tiny green circle has a checkmark in it. This showed up in the last day or 2 and I saw once before around a year ago. NO CLUE as to what it is, what it means or who put it there.

Reaction score
I have about 30 shortcut icons and all but one show the app or file they lead to.

The one icon that doesn't is only about a week old and is a white square with the Google "G" in its center. And a lot of the shortcuts on my wife's computer (an Acer "Aspire") are like that too. No idea why.

Reaction score
The right-click of an icon and Properties will show the location of the .exe/executable file of a program. A shortcut to a document usually won't as there's no icons in the document. A URL [the padlock] dragged from the browser's address bat to the desktop will show that address. I keep Google at bay so can't say what icons it has available. Occasionally deleting a program rather that uninstalling it will leave behind shortcuts that will become generic as it can't find the associated program.

1683117061472.png

Last edited:

JWR

Reaction score
The right-click of an icon and Properties will show the location of the .exe/executable file of a program. A shortcut to a document usually won't as there's no icons in the document. A URL [the padlock] dragged from the browser's address bat to the desktop will show that address. I keep Google at bay so can't say what icons it has available. Occasionally deleting a program rather that uninstalling it will leave behind shortcuts that will become generic as it can't find the associated program.

View attachment 14390
Bighorn -- very off-topic -- do you have background / experience with high end flat bed scanners? I'm looking to banter with someone who has that knowledge about my existing scanner and possible upgrades.

Reaction score
Bighorn -- very off-topic -- do you have background / experience with high end flat bed scanners? I'm looking to banter with someone who has that knowledge about my existing scanner and possible upgrades.
Missed the part about a scanner so I'll not mention anything about it.

JWR

Reaction score
Missed the part about a scanner so I'll not mention anything about it.
There was no part about a scanner -- I introduced it just now and said it is off topic. My question is Are you experienced with high end scanners and able or willing to discuss.

Ask a Question